lignum vitae bushings

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

crabcreekind

Has anyone ever thought to make lignum vitae bushings? because ca sticks to steel and they have the plastic ones, but lignum vitae has natural oils that would maybe prevent it from sticking? and if u hit it with your tool it would not turn it away very much because its the hardest wood in the world.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

monophoto

Slightly off-topic - - -

There is a hydroelectric power plant near here that has been in continuous operation since the mid-1890's. It uses lignum vitae for the BEARINGS on the turbines. The combination of toughness and oily character makes the bearings last, and also prevents damage due to the fact that the turbines are underwater.

The owner of the plant told me that he has some difficulty getting wood to make bearings. Apparently, the importer requires that he certify that the wood will NOT be used to make guns.

bensoelberg

Has anyone ever thought to make lignum vitae bushings? because ca sticks to steel and they have the plastic ones, but lignum vitae has natural oils that would maybe prevent it from sticking? and if u hit it with your tool it would not turn it away very much because its the hardest wood in the world.

Early on in my pen making, I made a pen using lignum vitae and put a CA finish on it. It stuck just fine and hasn't peeled off, fogged up, or chipped at all. I don't think that I wiped it down with anything before applying the finish to clean off the oils. Based on that, I don't think it would work very well. I know you can get delrin rods for relatively cheap and make some out of that.

KenV

True lignum is hard to get (vs Vera Wood from South America) and is expensive. The plastics are moderate in cost and easy to get. Machinable steel is cheap.

Since the bushings are approximate measues -- you are measuring the fittings and checking the bushings??? Make them of most anything that works, but metals are easy.

bitshird

+ 1 on what Ken said, but also consider using delrin, it's great for final sanding and CA application and finish sanding and polish, PLUS it won't transfer any nasty black/gray dust from you steel bushings

redfishsc

If you're careful, you can using just about any good hard wood for bushings, just pick something kiln dried to reduce warping.

Personally I'd favor german beech, hard maple, or osage---- or any smooth grained and dense wood.

firewhatfire

I just finished a cigar pen out of Lignum Vitae, I had to sand it down and clean it the first time I finushed it as it left a strip all the way around it that the finish didn't stick to. Stripped it cleaned it with Acetone and then refinished with CA and it looks really good to me. Will try and post a pic if I have my camera here at work.

on another note my local WC has a basket of blanks on clearance, should I buy the up as they are 1 inch square and a foot long for .99 a piece?

still new to turning and dont know what I should buy and what I should pass on

Phil

Last edited:
Top Bottom