lights for photography

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sgimbel

From reading different threads people refer to CFL bulbs rated at 5500 Kelvin. I was at HD and all the CFL bulbs are listed by "lumens". Most were in the 800 - 900 lumens and there were a few with 2000 lumens. Does anybody know how "lumens" and "kelvin" relate?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dan26

Lumens has to do with the brightness of the light, whereas kelvin is the color temperature. The noon sun produces a color temperature of about 5500 Kelvin and therefore, if you want to simulate sunlight, look for a bulb with that produces 5500 Kelvin. The guys that work at HD should be able to show them to you. Most bulbs that produce 5500 K will say so on the package. Here's some more info: http://planetpixelemporium.com/tutorialpages/light.html .

Dan

holmqer

Local Chapter Leader
Lumens are a unit of brightness, Kelvin in lighting is a measure of color.

Kelvin is one of those annoying units of measure that is used for two totally different purposes, temperature and color.

The color measure is somewhat temperature related as its origin was an experiment conducted by Lord Kelvin in the late 1800s on light spectrum emitted by carbon at a particular temperature. The modern scale is different but uses his name in honor of his research.

AceMrFixIt

I work electrical at HD, get the Daylight bulbs, the color temp is 6500k. Photogs use 5000k to 6500k. Very white light. I love them in my shop. Its brighter in my shop then outside on a sunny FL day.

Fishrule

I bought Ott-lite bulbs at Lowe's. They're 5300K fluorescents (25W swirl type, standard base), and reasonably priced. Nice color rendition in my photos by simply setting the white balance to Daylight.

Last edited:
Top Bottom