Lighting

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Grizz

Banned
How do you all light up your work at the lathe? I'm going to do something different than my current lay out. Just need some ideas for lighting up the area.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

karlkuehn

Banned
I'm similar to Dawn D., I just went and got some cheapie Home Depot 4' t-12 fluorescent fixtures (like $8 each, with bulbs: around $15 per double light) and hung them around my shop. I've got my little 8' x 8' workroom (basically, it's the den in my single-wide trailer) set up with benches in a ring around the perimeter (with cheap and/or home-made shelving built in above most of them and all the tools packed in tight on the benches, leaving me room in the middle to basically pivot around and get to any tool I need.) I've got three of those fluorescent light fixtures in there, and along with a single, centered overhead light that was originally in the ceiling (with a compact fluorescent bulb), I've got more light than I need.

Above each bench on each wall, I've got a power strip with 6 plug-ins and I just ran the stock cords that come with the cheap fixtures through a couple of hooks and down the wall into the power strips. The rest of the outlets in the strips have all my other tools plugged into them, so when I walk in the room to get to work, I just hit the 'on' button on each strip, and the room lights up like daylight. When I leave, I just shut the strips off, and I'm good.

My goal is to get this little room totally set up to be as efficient as it can be, and then when I'm happy, I'll buy a 16' x 8' cargo trailer, and I should have roughly twice the space I need to duplicate my current shop, leaving me the other half for cargo space. That way, when I start hitting the shows, I'll be able to work while I sell off my treasures, providing I can get a 15 amp power source. That's one of the things that's been keeping me so busy, trying to cram so much stuff in such a little space. I think I've about got it, though. Now I just need to upgrade to some better tools (i.e. swap out the 9" hokey bench bandsaw for a real 14" Grizzly, get rid of my 12" miter saw for a good 10", things like that)

Hope some of this helps. The nice thing about our little addiction is that it really doesn't take up that much room to set up a good shop.

Ligget

I use an adjustable swing arm lamp above my lathe, it has a low energy bulb in but is very bright but stays cool.

In my small workshop the walls and ceiling are painted white and I have 2 flourescent strip lights in the ceiling, it is bright which is what I wanted.[8D]

20071230844_LIGHT.jpg

karlkuehn

Banned
Originally posted by ligget

I use an adjustable swing arm lamp above my lathe, it has a low energy bulb in but is very bright but stays cool.
In my small workshop the walls and ceiling are painted white and I have 2 flourescent strip lights in the ceiling, it is bright which is what I wanted.[8D]

Wow, Mark! Here all this time I was figuring you'd be wearing a wood turning kilt and some sort of furry pelt-based dust mask. You've really messed up my idea of what life overseas would be like. I guess when I come over there for a visit, I should leave my replicant chinese-made Braveheart two-handed flamberge behind? Darn it! [:p]

Ligget

Originally posted by karlkuehn

Originally posted by ligget

Wow, Mark! Here all this time I was figuring you'd be wearing a wood turning kilt and some sort of furry pelt-based dust mask. You've really messed up my idea of what life overseas would be like. I guess when I come over there for a visit, I should leave my replicant chinese-made Braveheart two-handed flamberge behind? Darn it! [:p]

Haha good one! Sorry but my shop is too cold for the kilt!;)

I use lot of same method... florescents all around the shop. Immediately over my lathe I have an outdoor spot light attached to the ceiling joist and directed to the headstock end of my lathe, then a moveable arm light attached to the wall that I can move about to shine from the tail stock direction.

I like Bill Jackman's idea, but I do a lot of other turnings than just pens and I'm thinking the lights would be in my way situated right on top of the lathe.. especially when I'm trying to drill for peppermills.

rherrell

Fluorescent strip lighting in shop and an adjustable light kinda like Marks mounted to the headstock. The adjustable light makes it nice for sanding CA. When the little shiney streaks go from shiney to dull you STOP. No more sanding through the finish.

jhs494

Four foot Fluorescent throughout the shop, with small individual clip-on lights attached to ceiling joist at the machines.

opfoto

I have a 4ft flourescent above my mini. Then I have a swing arm HF special with magnetic bottom attached to a metal plate from a switch box mounted on a cabinet door mounted behind & above the mini....Whew... [xx(]

jskeen

Used to have a 4' florescent fixture over the workbench. After I put the lathe there, I changed to this.

20071231201513_lights.jpg

fixture is a add-on light for a ceiling fan, couple of 100w spots, and hooked it to the chains from the florescent. nice focused light for the lathe and drillpress. the magnifier lamp also has a 100w bulb in it for close looks. Under 8 bucks total cost.

Top Bottom