Which is the lightest fountain pen?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Firefyter-emt

Out of any of the main three? I have a commission order, but she wants it as light as it can be with a fine nib. Now the one that's she is replacing is a pretty cheap all plastic body that broke where the nib holder threads into the body. I am thinking about the Artisan from CSUSA in African Blackwood. (Her request for a dark wood, odd, Eh?)

This kit looks a lot like the Americana, what size tubes does this kit use?

Any other FP's that fit the bill better?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimGo

African blackwood is pretty heavy; not the best of choices if she wants it light. You might try a tubeless mod, too, and possibly even shorten the lower barrel (if she is going to use refills, rather than a refillable pump). However, all of these will impact the balance of the pen.

bnoles

Lee,

Look at the Sedona from AS. It was recommended to me when I was seeking a FP to make for my wife who wears a size 3 1/2 ring.

She loves it and claims a perfect fit, weight and size.

gerryr

From everything I have read, the El Grande is the lightest. I've made a couple of Streamline El Grandes and they are really light. Barons are reasonably light and can be made a bit lighter by making them closed end and eliminating the two loose rings on the CB. My own personal FP is a closed end Curly Koa Baron and it weighs 38 grams with ink in the pump. I have a Streamline El Grande that weighs 37 grams without ink. I wouldn't make the kit you're talking about for anyone, because it isn't available in a plating that will last.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
As is hinted at above, you need to know whether she wants a medium sized pen (such as a Baron or Sedona from www.arizonasilhouette.com) or a larger pen (such as the El Grande from the same source). All three kits weigh about the same, you can purchase fine nibs for either (again, same source)and they are avaiable in a nice variety of platings. I make and use all three and they are very nice writing pens.

bgray

the Artisan is a 10mm kit.

As far as weight, it's going to be the same as the Americana...just a different look.

Here's a couple of pics of one if it helps...

Firefyter-emt

Well, as for size and weight, she thinks my Churchill (cranberry chushed velvet FP) [:D] is too big & heavy. (and it is pretty light IMHO)

This gal is all about the ink and uses it daily. I just sold her a bottle of Noodlers Nightshade last month and she refills as often as I do (every other day) so it's a converter for sure. I am kinda leaning towards that Artisan kit myself. It may be the same sise as a Americana, but it looks like there is less weight due to the center band & final.

Although, I might look at the Sedona, but isn't that the one with the odd looking ends??

PenWorks

I dug this dirt up from the past......Pretty much what Gerry suggested.
My El Grande streamline weighing in at 14 grams [:)]
http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=2377&SearchTerms=grams

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Beautiful pen, of course, Anthony.

I love the El Grande, but she apparently is concerned about weight and size, and you know how women are obsessed by size. [;)]

I like the idea of a closed end baron. I've made a couple, making them slightly longer than usual. IMHO, the extra length helps to balance the pen. Of course she shouldn't lose the cap. [8D]

jeffj13

Lee,

I haven't made the pen yet, but the componets for the El Grande seem pretty light. Certainly, alot lighter than the Churchill.

jeff

Firefyter-emt

But size will play a roll too. Even it it's not heavy but "looks" heavy, she migh not like it.

If I am going to go close to a 10mm pen, this looks like a good choice. It looks like the band on this one is soild, much like the El-Toro?

What is your thought on this kit? BB's roundtop streamline
Streamline_RT_SC_RB_FP_web.jpg

bjackman

Metal on metal threads in a pen feel terrible, and IMNSHO are an awful choice! Anthony, I hadn't seen that Streamlined EG you made. I have a couple of those kits I got to play with. Wondering what the weight will come in with a double closed end, getting rid of most of the hardware on the kit.

gerryr

I've made the regular Berea Round Top Euro and it is a terrible kit. I haven't made the streamline version but know that both use the same bushings and the bushings are almost totally useless.

Bill, I don't think you will lose much weight on an EG by making it closed end since most of the black parts on the kit are plastic. The Streamline EG has a nicer clip, looks a PF clip and easy to modify.

gerryr

Originally posted by bjackman
<br />What about the weight of that solid chunk-o-metal finial on the top? [}:)]
That's why I said the clip is easily modifed.[:D] The metal finial cap on the Streamline version is just a bit bigger than the same part on the PF. The one on the regular EG is bigger than either one.

bjackman

Exactly my point Lou, a little here, a little there adds up. I think I saw a small, cheap digital scale on some HF coupons recently, might have to break down and get one. Any idea how much say a Pelikan M400 weighs? I would guess not much more than the 14 grams we just saved in an el grande kit with the end piece and finial.
btw, is that the plastic posting end piece? or the metal female threaded end piece?

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Originally posted by bjackman
<br />btw, is that the plastic posting end piece? or the metal female threaded end piece?
For the cap and endpiece I weighed all of the parts that you would leave out of a closed end pen. I did not include the clip, since I figured you would make it a hidden (or whatever Russ told me is the right term [:D] ) clip. I didn't add back in the weight of an extra piece of tube for those who are insecure about the wood not being supported on the tail.

If you decide to get a scale, get metric. Most of the major manufacturers give their weight in grams. FYI, the Pelikan M400 weighs 14.4 grams and the M600 weighs 17.6 grams...according to Pelikan. Also, the Montblanc 149 (the classic most of us recognize) weighs in at 29 grams.

RussFairfield

Passed Away 2011
In Memoriam
A question that has been neither asked nor answered is, does she write with the cap posted?? Another is, is she willing to write with the cap not posted?? The answers to those questions can make a big difference because there is a lot of metal in some of these caps.

Words like "light" and "heavy" are subjective terms that have little to nothing to do with the actual weight of the pen. Beware beware of falling into the trap of real weight and apparent weight. Comfort and ba;ance in the hand is more important to most writers that the actual weight of the pen. Comfort has to do with size and shape of the grip area, and distribution of the weight; but very little to do with gross weight of the pen.

For what it's worth, I just weighed the slightly modified stripped down El Grande that I use. It is the standard kit in a stabilized Koa.

Total weight is 25 grams with a full Schmidt reservoir.

Writing weight (without the cap) is 15 grams.

They don't get much lighter than that. I have no idea how that compares to the standard El Grande because I have never made one of them.

RussFairfield

Passed Away 2011
In Memoriam
I had problems finding a metric digital scale that measured in 1-gram increments above 20-grams. Most of them went into 5-gram increments above some point, usually 20. When I did, it wasn't cheap.

Firefyter-emt

Russ, She does want the cap to post as she likes the "length" as she put it. No matter what I make, it's going to be heavier than that all plastic hollow bodied thing she is using now, quite honestly 5 to 10 grams will not even be noticed if she tried the top 5 pen choices give here. I am going to give that round top I posted a try, I kind of like the short end cap on the body and what looks like a solid color center band. Next runner up would be the Artisan from CSUSA.

Randy_

I noticed something that no one else has commented on. Gerry said he had a El Grande Streamline that weighed 38 grams and Anthony said he had one that weighed only 14 grams? So I did a little more looking and found out we were comparing apples and oranges. Turns out Anthony's pen is modified and had most of the tube removed, no end cap and he was only weighing writing part of the pen as if it was a non-posting pen. I assume Gerry's quoted weight was for a stock pen and cap.

Personally, I don't care for pens that don't post. I have big hands and they feel awkward to me. Sort of like when I was a kid and used wooden pencils that had been sharpened down to a nub. Also, I don't like the balance of an unposted pen. For those that don't care, a posting or non-posting kit will both work......just leave the cap off the posting pens..... so it is important to know exactly what the customer is looking for.

Russ's comment about scales puzzles me a little? I have no doubt that what he says is correct; but i also think the kind of scale he is using is probably overkill for weighing pens. You can find digital scales at Wal-Mart in the kitchen section or the office supply section for about $20 that measure in ounces or grams in 2 gram increments up to about 4 pounds ±. You can get a similar scales from most office supply stores for a few dollars more and you can even order a scales from the USPS web site.

I doubt that any but the most sensitive of us could detect a one gram difference in the weight of a normal fountain pen. A penny weighs just a hair over 2 grams so you are trying to detect a weight difference of about a half penny. As an analogy, that would be like picking up 40 pennies and figuring out, by heft, whether you had 40 pennies or only 39!!

If you don't have a digital scale around the house, I highly recommend getting one. it's amazing how handy they are for a variety of uses. Mine gets turned on at least once a week and frequently more often. I bought it originally to keep track of my Sugar Gliders; but it gets much use in the shop, the office and kitchen as well.[^]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom