Light-Weight High-end Kit

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

propencity

Is there such a thing? A very common negative feedback I get whenever I show pens from higher-end kits (Statesman, Gentleman, Emperor, Majestic, even lately Sierras/Wall Street) is how heavy they are. And these pens are usually made of what I would consider minimal or average weighted wood blank (not Ebony). I can just imagine if I had used tru-stone material on these pens.

I have gotten positive feedback on the weight on slimline pens where I have removed the finial and centerband.

What kits would you consider on the light-weight category? Is the heaviness of the pen a common complaint on your side? Just wondering.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

barrysj

So ....I decided to send something to one of the designers of pens out there David Broadwell!...his response is below, my initial inquiry is below even farther...I hope he is busy designing!!!! I think I'll call Ed Levy to see where they're at...

-Steve
-------------------------------------------------

Hi Steve,

Thank you for your email. It's interesting that you mention pens for women. That is what I've discussed with Ed Levy at PSI. The Nouveau Sceptre and Art Deco pens are very large and fairly heavy, so Ed thought that a custom design of slimmer pens would be good. I agree. We'll get them going.

Thanks,

David
On Jul 13, 2010, at 8:58 PM, Cori Barry wrote:

Sir,

I am an avid penturner and love your art nouveau sceptre series. I have found that throughout all the pen kit suppliers, no one makes an elegant pen for women. There are certainly many examples of exquisite pens for business men and some cheap, low end platted "women's pens" But nothing that is higher end, elegant, understated, and SMALLER for a woman's hand. Your designs are so detailed oriented, and I know there would be a huge market for a high end business women's pen, can you help and give us a higher end pen kit through PSI or any one else?

Thanks for your time.

Steve Barry
Member, International Association of Penturners

BROADWELL STUDIOS LLC
http://www.david.broadwell.com
http://www.broadwellstudios.com

DAVID BROADWELL / david@broadwellstudios.com
Fine Art Knives, Writing Instruments, & Functional Art

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
a couple of thoughts come to mind..

if a Sierra is too heavy because of the material it is made of, consider making
it closer to 'bushing to bushing' to reduce the weight. There isn't really
that much material there, so adding the typical 'bulge' might double the
weight of the blank. (we can't change the kit weight)

the kits themselves aren't really that heavy .. consider that it might not be
the weight issue as much as the balance. Shape comes into play here.

I prefer the Jr's as non postable because of the weight and balance. and if
they're turned fairly straight (again .. lacking the 'bulge' ) they tend to feel
lighter in the hand. No complaints from women about weight except for
one person with carpal tunnel syndrome.. and she has a pen that is held
differently for that reason.

OKLAHOMAN

Turn a negitive into a positive "Yes mam we made these just a little bit heavy for a reason, have you ever noticed how tired you get writting with that little light plastic pen because you have to press so hard and hold it tightly in your hand? Well our pens are designed so you don't have to hold them so tightly and press to get them to write. Look at anyones fingernails when using a lightweight skinny pen notice the blood in their fingernails , thats because they have to press and hold it so tightly"

I have used this many, many, many times and it works 75% I sell them..Hint.
be sure to use a better refill such as the ez9000 in all your pens that take a parker style refill.

thewishman

Sounds good! About the lightest weight, nice pens available now would be the Churchill (which my wife says is NOT feminine) and the El Grande. I think the Ligero was a nice kit, but it has been discontinued.

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
Venture into the kitless world. Take away the tubes and most the the hardware and you can make a very light pen for less cost and more profit!

Reece

I get the same comment a lot, the key seems to be to get the person to write with the pen. If all they do is pick it up to look at it, it will feel a little heavy. Tell them 'once the pen is in a writing position, it balances beautifully and you won't even notice the weight'

Soon as they write with it, they'll agree.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Ligero

Sounds good! About the lightest weight, nice pens available now would be the Churchill (which my wife says is NOT feminine) and the El Grande. I think the Ligero was a nice kit, but it has been discontinued.

I see non-branded Ligero at the Dayacom website - retail 100 MOQ in 24kt gold and chrome $6.20 FP and $4.95 RB express shipping included. Dayacom says the non- branded kits they sell are close to their branded kits in quality.

Dan_F

The only kit Fountain pens I will use for myself are El Grande and Churchill. They are the lightest because they don't have as many metal parts, something they are often looked down upon for by some. They balance nicely in the hand as long as caps aren't posted. I was very excited when I was assembling my first and only Full sized Gentleman FP, but when I actually used it for a few minutes, realized how uncomfortably heavy it was.

I have made a few kitless pens, and they are lighter still than the pens listed above, but are quite labor intensive with all of the measuring to the thousandth for fabricating parts, and tapping threads and such. Still, I will make some more.

I agree with Oklahoman that skinny pens are uncomfortable, and that a nice, fat El Grande will not cramp your hand. But I part company with him when it comes to weight, a heavy pen can be just as fatiguing as a skinny one. The Jr. series combines both, a heavy skinny pen that is no fun at all for me to use. I don't care much for the elongated sections of the Jr's either, from an esthetics point of view. And the weight thing may not become apparent until after a page or two. A quick note won't bother, whereas a letter or report it will become apparent.

I hope that someone comes up with some new and interesting fountain pens of adequate girth at the section that are light in weight, both masculine and feminine. Are you listening David??? :biggrin:

Dan

Last edited:
Top Bottom