Ligero Question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
A customer of mine has reported a problem with Ligero kits. The two piece cap assembly is separating.with the cap popping off the coupling.

Have any of you had a similar problem? If you did were you able to fix it? If you fixed it how?

I would appreciate it if I get answers only from people who have had the problem.

The problem does not cause the pen to be useless as the whole cap assembly can be replaced. And I'm sure I'll be able to get new assemblies to replace any that can't be fixed.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
If I understand correctly, the center band assembly is being separated from the cap body tube? it happens when the pen owner tries to pull the pen apart instead of twisting the cap off. If this is the case, CA or epoxy the assembly into the tube and send some instructions on use of a twist cap.
A customer of mine has reported a problem with Ligero kits. The two piece cap assembly is separating.with the cap popping off the coupling.

Have any of you had a similar problem? If you did were you able to fix it? If you fixed it how?

I would appreciate it if I get answers only from people who have had the problem.

The problem does not cause the pen to be useless as the whole cap assembly can be replaced. And I'm sure I'll be able to get new assemblies to replace any that can't be fixed.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
If I understand correctly, the center band assembly is being separated from the cap body tube? it happens when the pen owner tries to pull the pen apart instead of twisting the cap off. If this is the case, CA or epoxy the assembly into the tube and send some instructions on use of a twist cap.

No, that isn't the problem it is the two piece end cap assembly separating it would not be caused by pulling the top off rather than unscrewing.

Twissy

Is this the cap finial coming off?
I mentioned in another thread that out of about 20 kits I have had problems with 6 where the cap finial has actually split. I reported this to my supplier who said he would advise the manufacturer (Dayacom?). It may be that the ones you have had problems with are just starting to split.
My remedy has been to turn a new finial and epoxy it on to the bush....looks really good if done in the same material as the body. It is time consuming and I probably won't get any more of these kits unless I can find a supplier for the cap finials of the Olympian Elite which are metal and look really good on the Ligero.
Regards
John

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Is this the cap finial coming off?
I mentioned in another thread that out of about 20 kits I have had problems with 6 where the cap finial has actually split. I reported this to my supplier who said he would advise the manufacturer (Dayacom?). It may be that the ones you have had problems with are just starting to split.
My remedy has been to turn a new finial and epoxy it on to the bush....looks really good if done in the same material as the body. It is time consuming and I probably won't get any more of these kits unless I can find a supplier for the cap finials of the Olympian Elite which are metal and look really good on the Ligero.
Regards
John
That is the problem - I can get replacement finial assemblies...I can get them in metal but need to order 500...

Carl Fisher

Here is a picture to clarify what Smitty is asking about. It sounds like Daycom says that they are supposed to be glued together at the factory. In the 3 examples shown below there is actually no evidence of adhesive so I'm thinking that it may have been missed for whatever reason.

So far I've tried blue locktite and CA. Locktite didn't hold and CA had a bit of squeeze out which ends up ruining the finish.

Smitty has been great in helping track down this issue and I appreciate his leg work. Hopefully this isn't a wide spread issue and just a bad batch which will happen from time to time with anyone.

Attachments

• IMG_0932.JPG
    IMG_0932.JPG
    30.3 KB · Views: 154
  • IMG_0934.JPG
    IMG_0934.JPG
    26.5 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_0936.JPG
    IMG_0936.JPG
    25.2 KB · Views: 152

chrisk

Like the first one (first + 2d pics), or like the second one (3d pic)?

Attachments

• 20130427_150659.jpg
    20130427_150659.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 130
  • 2013-04-27 15.07.18-1.jpg
    2013-04-27 15.07.18-1.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 138
  • 2013-04-27 15.00.42.jpg
    2013-04-27 15.00.42.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 142

Carl Fisher

Christos,

For that issue I highly recommend pulling the assembly apart before pressing. Then you can just press the threaded insert first and then re-attach the clip and finial.

chrisk

Hi Carl,
Seems a bit complicated. Both finials above were returned from the same customer (my only Ligero sold so far). The second one (3d pic: entirely splitted) was returned last year with the following body's finial (we don't see it but the finial is broken), dismantled like yours is. The girl told me this happened after a drop of her pen on... her desk... Quite bizarre isn't it?

Anyway, I replaced both finials at no cost for her. A few months later she came at a craft fair where she presented me a new splitted finial (first + 2d pics above), that is the finial I already replaced. Justification: the finial was broken by itself... Again I was dubious... But again I replaced the finial at no cost for her. After the issue raised by Le Roy I don't know what to think.

Attachments

• 2013-04-27 15.26.26.jpg
    2013-04-27 15.26.26.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 146

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Hi Carl,
Seems a bit complicated. Both finials above were returned from the same customer (my only Ligero sold so far). The second one (3d pic: entirely splitted) was returned last year with the following body's finial (we don't see it but the finial is broken), dismantled like yours is. The girl told me this happened after a drop of her pen on... her desk... Quite bizarre isn't it?

Anyway, I replaced both finials at no cost for her. A few months later she came at a craft fair where she presented me a new splitted finial (first + 2d pics above), that is the finial I already replaced. Justification: the finial was broken by itself... Again I was dubious... But again I replaced the finial at no cost for her. After the issue raised by Le Roy I don't know what to think.
This picture looks like the issue we are addressing right now...the first post you made looks like a different problem...it is not terribly uncommon for some pens to break when dropped...

chrisk

Hi Carl,

This picture looks like the issue we are addressing right now...the first post you made looks like a different problem...it is not terribly uncommon for some pens to break when dropped...

I agree with you but maybe not so common when two pieces located at opposed ends (cap's finial and body's finial) were broken at the same time from the same drop... on a desk...

Anyway, thank you LeRoy for assuring such an after sales service. This again honors you.

jttheclockman

Smitty why don't you post a photo?? A picture is worth a 10000 words. This sounds like a manfactorer problem. Maybe these companies should start a recall program.:)

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Smitty why don't you post a photo?? A picture is worth a 10000 words. This sounds like a manfactorer problem. Maybe these companies should start a recall program.:)
The pictures in thread #7 and #10 illustrate the problem I'm concerned with. Perhaps they should but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for them to do so.:wink:

chrisk

Christos,

For that issue I highly recommend pulling the assembly apart before pressing. Then you can just press the threaded insert first and then re-attach the clip and finial.

Carl,
I always do that with Ligero or ElGrande and Churchill pen kits. As for this specific Rollerball, it was returned to me a few months later by the customer.

Last edited:

chrisk

The pictures in thread #7 and #10 illustrate the problem I'm concerned with. Perhaps they should but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for them to do so.:wink:

Leroy,
In fact by examining again the pieces illustrated by me above (posts 8 and 10) and returned by one of my customers I'm sure now they're unrelated to the issue you raised in this thread.
The 3 pieces are broken. Not visible on the pic (at post 10 above) but the finial is broken. And if the thread did separate from the finial it should have been after an impact.
Of course, I don't know for the rest of the Ligero kits I purchased from you but as for the issue adressed by me here it's IMHO this of a disturbed customer one (*)... :biggrin::biggrin:

(*) Do you know if Dayacom can provide a solution for this issue... such as replacing customers???...:laugh:

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam

Leroy,
In fact by examining again the pieces illustrated by me above (posts 8 and 10) and returned by one of my customers I'm sure now they're unrelated to the issue you raised in this thread.
The 3 pieces are broken. Not visible on the pic (at post 10 above) but the finial is broken. And if the thread did separate from the finial it should have been after an impact.
Of course, I don't know for the rest of the Ligero kits I purchased from you but as for the issue adressed by me here it's IMHO this of a disturbed customer one (*)... :biggrin::biggrin:

(*) Do you know if Dayacom can provide a solution for this issue... such as replacing customers???...:laugh:
when I get replacement parts you can tell me how many you need and I'll pack them in with an order.

Carl Fisher

After some playing around, I'm going to start replacing these with matching material from the body. I did a successful rear section today and may take one of my parts kits and see if I can do the cap section as well. It's a nice upgrade touch.

To fix the rear section, it looks like you can just ream out that hole a touch or shave down the metal piece a touch and use some clear epoxy. A 3/8 drill bit to the plastic side going just the depth of the insert gives you enough room for a coating of epoxy without forcing it all out when you join the 2 pieces. A collet chuck comes in handy in this case :biggrin:

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam

Leroy,

when I get replacement parts you can tell me how many you need and I'll pack them in with an order.
I don't think so.

Carl Fisher

Here is one of the fixed finials. Unfortunately I won't see this customer and her pen again until Wednesday so this is a surprise upgrade for her.

Attachments

• 1-IMG_0940.jpg
    1-IMG_0940.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 110
  • 1-IMG_0941.JPG
    1-IMG_0941.JPG
    65.6 KB · Views: 87

sbell111

Here is a picture to clarify what Smitty is asking about. It sounds like Daycom says that they are supposed to be glued together at the factory. In the 3 examples shown below there is actually no evidence of adhesive so I'm thinking that it may have been missed for whatever reason.

So far I've tried blue locktite and CA. Locktite didn't hold and CA had a bit of squeeze out which ends up ruining the finish.
We don't make Ligeros, but we have had this issue with similar kits before. The way that we glued the end cap and coupler together was to put a single small drop of thick CA up into the end cap (NOT ON THE COUPLER). Then we simply pressed the end cap and coupler back together. Since only a small amount of glue was used and it was not on the coupler and away from the edge of the end cap, there was no squeeze out. Also, rather than assemble the pen immediately, we leave these sub assemblies in a well ventilated (moving air) location for a day. This mostly ensures that the CA doesn't cloud the piece as it off gasses.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam

We don't make Ligeros, but we have had this issue with similar kits before. The way that we glued the end cap and coupler together was to put a single small drop of thick CA up into the end cap (NOT ON THE COUPLER). Then we simply pressed the end cap and coupler back together. Since only a small amount of glue was used and it was not on the coupler and away from the edge of the end cap, there was no squeeze out. Also, rather than assemble the pen immediately, we leave these sub assemblies in a well ventilated (moving air) location for a day. This mostly ensures that the CA doesn't cloud the piece as it off gasses.
Sounds like a good approach to me. I think it would also work with epoxy but you'd probably need to remember it when you were mixing epoxy to do something else since it would take such a small amount.

Top Bottom