Ligero problem, is it just me?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

darbytee

Okay guys and gals, I've tried turning three ligeros now and have blown out the top barrel near the bushing on each one. I do still have an occasional blowout but three in a row is excessive even for me. My theory is that the 17/32 bit leaves too much of a gap with the tube. On the other hand I've seen Anthony and others post ligeros that came out beautifully. I'd love to try a 33/64 bit but I don't have one and I bought this 17/32 one specifically for this kit (meaning I don't want to buy another one).:) Anyone have any insight?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Fred--I've not had that problem with the Ligero, but I have the 33/64" bit. I don't remember what glue you use for your tubes, but if you use CA, you might want to consider polyurethane glue or epoxy to fill the gap. While it seems trivial, 1/64" is faily significant (It's thicker than the wood it is trying to support). Another option would be to turn to your 80-grit gouge when you get close.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Do you plug your tubes and put glue in the blank?
Ca glue works fine but I have been coating the inside of my tubes with thin and re-drilling and have no problems.

The instructions call for a 17/32" and a 31/64" drill. Where does the 33/64" drill come in? Am I missing something or has there been an update? I have a few Ligeros but haven't tried them yet. I wouldn't want to mess them up.

darbytee

Lou and Eagle, thanks. I should have given a little more detail. I use gorilla glue and I do plug the ends with baseplate wax before gluing, but I normally just put glue on the tube and twist as I insert it to ensure I get good coverage. Eagle, could you explain what you mean by re-drilling?

George, sorry for any confusion. The 33/64 was just me implying that I thought it would work better than the 17/32 for this application. It's not anywhere in the instructions.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
With all the glue ups I am doing,I have made it a practice to drizzle thing CA in the hole of the blank after I drill them.
This insures a solid urface inside the pen and works well on softer woods and corn cobs.
After I drizzle the CA in teh tube I run the drill bit through them.
I have had very few problems with blow outs and CA glue and that is all I use.
On those that did blow out I noted very little glue on the tube where the wood was missing.
I also scuff my tubes very roughly and my bench sander.

wayneis

Fred I use a long nail to mix and spread glue inside the holes of the blanks, then I roll the tube in glue, that way I know for certain that every bit of tube and the inside of the blank is coated with glue. I haven't had a blow-out in months. I use epoxy 5 minute glue on all materials, woods, acrylic, celluloids everything.

Wayne

bdar

After talking to Eagle about his glue up method I have not had a blow out since changing. I always scuffed up the tubes but never thought of lining the hole with glue. I have used both CA and Rapid Cure expoy and have not had a failure since. I re-drill the blanks on the lathe and when I am in the house I have a 7mm drill epoxied into a handle so I can clean a few up while watching the tele.

Bdar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom