Letter Opener recommendations needed.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

mewell

After selling a letter opener to a good customer and having it come apart, I'm looking for advice on a kit for a flat-top "Parker" style letter opener that does NOT rely on just a "press fit" to hold the blade to the blank. It looks like Rockler's has a threaded "hilt" that holds everything together - are there others that you may be aware of?

Thanks,
Mark

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dalemcginnis

Local Chapter Leader
I've made a Rockler, it is a screw fit. The only thing I didn't like about it was the handle is only 2 and 1/4 inches.

mewell

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll take a look at the Rockler and Berea since I'll be in their neck of the woods Tuesday. Albert - the PSI would be perfect if it wasn't so long! The folks we sold to like the PSI wooden combo box which is too short! [:(]

redfishsc

Lol, on letter openers and other pens I have no intention of taking apart I use either medium CA or epoxy. I scuff the tenon insert a tad with a file or some 180 first. Nary a prollum.

mewell

I'm going to go the CA glue route too. After really examining the opener, I'm guessing they stepped/sat [:0] on the thing since the blade literally won't stay in the handle. I've had quality control issues with my work before (go figure), but not to this extent. If these folks hadn't spent $250 already, I'd be quizzing them a little more, but in this case I'm doing what it takes to keep them coming back for more.

Jim - I <b>DO</b> use the Loctite Blue on things like the transmissions for Cigars to keep them from coming apart, but on things like this and the centerband of the 10mm "Parker" style I use CA - many people figure that if the pen doesn't pull apart on the first try they must have to pull *harder*![:(!]

cdcarter

Harry,

I looked at the dagger this a.m. at the local Wood Craft store, but I don't like the flat back on the blade. I prefer the Euro style, which is also a buck or so cheaper. Also, the blade has full threads rather than just half, and it looks longer to me, so it should hold fine. I guess the coupling could come loose, but no more than for a pen or anything else, and nothing a drop of CA before pressing wouldn't cure.

Carl

hrigg

I agree, Carl, that's why I only made the one. I like the looks of the Euro, so that's the style I'd choose if I make any more. I like the Euro pen as well, so that would be a good desk set.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom