Letter opener question.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob A

I have not yet turned any letter openers, but have a request for a couple of them. While searching for the kits I noticed that some of the bushing sets (specifically designer and american from PennState, maybe others too)have three bushings. I can't see why they would require three bushings. So my question is, would these be the same bushings that one would use to turn the designer and american style pens with?

Bob

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jimr

I have turned a few letter openers and I wanted to share something I figured out. I did not like the short tubes that came with the opener kits I ordered so I used a scrap piece of tube an inch or so longer. I even had to drill the blank from both ends. Then I glued the short piece of scrap tube in the back end and glued the provided long tube in blade end. It does not matter if the holes are not perfectly centered because the button on the back end is so short. I used the end with the long tube for the blade. You cannot tell the holes did not match and I got a much longer handle which I think looks much better with the blade length. Necessity is the mother of invention, but maybe I did not invent this !

William Young

OH OH ! !
I just ordered my first ever Classic letter opener and magnifying glass kits today. They are PKPAR-LO and PKPARK . As an after thought , should I have ordered special bushings with them or do they use a fairly standard bushing set.
W.Y.

melogic

I have turned A LOT of designer letter openers and magnifying glasses and they use the same bushings as the designer pens. As a matter of fact, Pens of Color has the best price going on the Designer Line right now. I'm getting ready to place an order with them in a couple of days.

William Young

Mark;
Thanks for that Mark.
I downloaded the instructions for the Classic letter openers and magnifier and apparrently they are 8mm and use a PKMONT-BU set but only uses two pieces of the set. I have never made Designer pens so that is why I dont have that bushing set already. I will order the bushing set as well as some designer kits so they can be included in my order before it gets in the mail..

W.Y.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom