Let's try this again.......

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Has anyone used a LARGER-than-required drill bit when reverse-painting blanks. This seems like it would make the process easier.

BTW...thank you ALL for pointing out my error on my previous post. I even ran this one through the spell checker. :biggrin:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
1- I measure the tube, sometimes the recommended drill bits are already considerably over sized. I check the feel and fit of the drilled hole before I reach for a larger drill bit. I do have a complete set of fractional, numbered, and letter sizes plus quite a few metric bits so I can usually open the hole in very small amounts if necessary. If I dont have a drill bit that I think will do it I use a boring bar to make the hole the exact diameter I want it to be.
You have to also take into consideration the amount of material left when your finished turning the blank down and the kind of material the blank is made out of and if it will hold together when turning.

sbell111

I depends.

For some kits, the drill bit that I would normally use tends to leave a fairly tight hole. Going up a tiny bit on drill bit size for these kits is necessary.

LL Woodworks

As a rule I don't. I measure each tube with calipers and chose the appropriate drill bit for the tube. Never look at the recommended drill size.

Top Bottom