Lets Play Cards With Pens.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

William Young

I made one with diamonds this afternoon. Clubs and spades and hearts wont be as easy but it is probably just a matter of time before I make them too.
Now what would that card game be named ... hhmm.. maybe ,.,. pens ? ? Sure... lets play pens ! !
W.Y.

66577918.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
G

Excllent !
I knew it would not be long.
You raised the bar for me.
What's the center ring made of?

timdaleiden

Great idea. That aspen looks like ivory. Nice looking pen, but I have my doubts about the hearts, clubs, and spades. You could maybe get someone to laser them for you. It would save you hours of time. I think Ken Nelson has done hearts before for Rich at the Yahoo forum. He lasers out voids on the rounded pen, and laser cuts the inlays. Just a thought.

William Young

Tim
I appreciate what you are saying about the laser. But I often have people come and say things about my fretwork clocks like,
*** there's nothing to that, its just done with a laser.***.
That is a compliment as well as an insult. A compliment in that my workmanship resembles the accuracy of a laser and a insult in that I took the laser route and I don't really care all that much about hand crafted workmanship. I feel that it means more to me personally as well as to my customer when I explain it was totally hand crafted with the help of a few woodworking tools. Actually doing something like I did on that pen really doesn't take all that long (about an extra half hour) when considering the extra *handcrafted* value it puts on it.

It was amazing to see at our fall fair yesterday the amount of people that appreciated truly handcrafted products.
W.Y.

low_48

Very nice! Maybe the clubs would not be too tough. Some accurate drilling with a brad point bit and then plug with endgrain walnut.

Rich
Originally posted by William Young
<br />I made one with diamonds this afternoon. Clubs and spades and hearts wont be as easy but it is probably just a matter of time before I make them too.
Now what would that card game be named ... hhmm.. maybe ,.,. pens ? ? Sure... lets play pens ! !
W.Y.

66577918.jpg

timdaleiden

Like I said, it was just a thought. I have done some fine scroll work myself, and I can't imagine doing rounded shapes that small. I have even used a jewelers blade with pin drill bits to start, but there is always a fudge factor for me. You may have more skill and patience than me. Show one off when you get it done. [:0]

G

Bill I totally undertand what yousaid about laser work.Not discrediting it,i appreciate the final results.
It's akin to going to the movies and seeing the special effects these days.
Years ago when a special effect was spebctacular you would wonder how they did it,or a full feature Disney cartoon.
Now everything is come with computers and there is no mystery.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom