Let's 'kick it up a notch'...looking for wisdom

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

hilltopper46

I'm pretty new at this pen turning thing. I've learned a lot over the past few months and have made progress that I would never had thought was possibble, but I realize I have a long way to go.

I'm ready to (as Emeril says) to 'kick it up a notch!' I am wanting to move beyond the slimlines and comfort pens, and start to turn a good quality pen that will be attractive and hopefully may sell a few. LOML wants me to make two matching pen/pencil sets from BOW for her bosses for Christmas, and I have a couple other projects in mind as well.

The selection of kits 'out there' is almost overwhelming and somewhat confusing as some companies call similar kits by different names. I'll still make some Designer/European pens and some Cigars but I would like some advice. What one or two pen styles would be the right direction to move to broaden my skills and show off some nicer blanks than what I have done so far? I'm not interested in fountain pens (yet) but want to try a roller ball or two.

Thanks in advance.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dario

My favorites are:

CSUSA
Jr Gent II (TN, Black TN, Rhodium)
Jr Gent twist pen (TN, Black TN, Rhodium)

Berea from ArizonaSilhouette
Baron (Chrome, TN, Platinum)
Sierra (Chrome, TN, Platinum)
Perfect Fit (Chrome, TN, Platinum)

CSUSA or Berea
Cigar (TN, Black TN, Platinum)

Of course there are more expensive ones but those can wait ...[;)]

rpasto92

Originally posted by hilltopper46
<br />I'm ready to (as Emeril says) to 'kick it up a notch!' I am wanting to move beyond the slimlines and comfort pens, and start to turn a good quality pen that will be attractive and hopefully may sell a few.
Just be careful (unless you have unlimited funds). "Kick it up a notch" in my opinion is another way of saying "go into pen debt even faster than I am now". Back when all I made was slimline/euro/cigars, I had a nice little profit going on. Now that I have kicked it up a notch, I can barely keep my head above water. Nils and BB will probably shoot me when they read this, but don't go overboard with new styles and kits until you know you can sell them.

JimGo

Tony,
Dario gave you a few good suggestions. The Jr. Gent II and Baron rollerball and fountain pen kits are some of my favorite, mid-priced kits. They are great for average to larger size hands. One reason is that they make very sophisticated looking pens and the kits aren't TOO expensive, even for the good platings. Another reason I like them is that you can swap a fountain pen "tip" for the rollerball "tip" and vice/versa based on the client's preference. The Sierra is a great small to moderate size ballpoint pen, and every customer and friend that has seen one in person has really liked it. Very smooth mechanism, and very nice weight. Cigars are a classic, and are also well received by most people. The kits aren't real expensive either, which is great. The only down side to them, IMHO, is that they are too big for some people.

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
If you want pen/pencil sets, I beleive that limits you to the Jr Gent set and Perfect Fit. I'd suggest either in the Ti gold.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
I wouldn't necessarily knock slim lines for a nice pen.
Even if you go with TN they are under $5.00.
I happen to like the PK Mon PAR from Woodturningz for an easily modify able Parker refill kit.
Pictured below are two "long-woods" made from relatively inexpensive "kits" or as the pros say findings(I use the word components
The top is a "fancy"slimline in a gold kit but other platings are available.
The bottom pen is a "PKMONPAR" Euro style with a custom clip, still under $5.00.
What is it that gives value to the pen you are giving?
Your work or the platings?The woods or the platings?
Your ideas or the design by a mfgr that is sold by the 100,000's to pen makers?
The design of the Euro Style is pretty traditional.
Are you showing off the wood or the kit?

200681522729_longwood%20slimlineand%20Parker.jpg
<br />

<br />

its_virgil

Tony,
I would venture to say that you've not totally exhausted the possibilities of the most versitile and forgiving kit we have...the slimline. There is so much you can do with this kit. It doesn't have to be shaped as it is intended. I have not made a bushing to bushing slimline in so long I can't remember the last one. Here is a link to a photo album of mine with only slimlines, except for one corncob cigar, I think. Take a look. I still play with the slimline to see what I can find out to do with it next.

Slimline album: http://tinyurl.com/dhy9j

Do a good turn daily!
Don

hilltopper46

Thanks to all who responded. You've given me some things to ponder. I started trying to make some "bandless" slimelines tonight. Not much for you experienced folks, I know, but one small step...

redfishsc

The Classic Americans are good pens for me. I inherited about 15 kits when I bought a used lathe and had never used them before.

They have a bit more beefy look than a slimline, use a Parker (GOOD) and have smooth action to them.

BTW, cost issues being the topic, keep you're eyes open for free wood. I almost never pay anything for wood unless I can resell some of it to recoup my costs.

mdburn_em

A pen of a different sort is the combo pen/pencil from Penn State Industries. http://www.pennstateind.com/store/pkcombo2.html
Pluses are that it has a larger barrel, so will show wood better.
People simply love the comfort grip. If I put it into their hands, it's sold. The pen is a fine point, which I often get requests for. You only have to turn 1 barrel. It's actually one of the easiest pens to assemble also.
Now the drawback.
I personally don't care for the action. I generally don't like the quality of PSI kits and this one is no exception. You turn the barrel to the left and the pen emerges, turn the pen to the right and the .7mm pencil emerges. I wish I could get this pen with the quality that usually comes from CSUSA or AS. You can only get it in 24K Gold, although PSI warrents that for life.
That being said, I still advise checking it out. Instead of turning 2 complete kits (4 barrels) for a pen and pencil, you turn 1 kit and 1 barrel. If you want to sell, this will significantly increase your efficiency.
Hope this helps.

Daniel

If I where going to make myself a pen amd pencil set, it would be the jr. Gent ballpoint and pencil with a jr. gent rollerball to keep at my desk. I know that make a three pen set. the first two I would carry in my pocket as I am an on the go worker. Of course I just sold an americana style rollerball with a pencil which is a combo I would not put together myself. so taste is pretty much limitless.
I would also see what her bosses already use and see if that gives you any ideas.
as far as general expension. my motto is you will get out of it what you put in. by that rule conservative effort will yield coservative results, but it's your checkbook not mine [:)]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom