Let the games begin

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Wood Butcher

Local Chapter Leader
I've been working on expanding the 3 or 4 sports pens I make to include the other sports that utilize balls. I'm up to nine now and here they are. Comments and questions welcome.
WB

Attachments

• . all 9.jpg
    . all 9.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 246
  • . the spread.jpg
    . the spread.jpg
    195.8 KB · Views: 325
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Very cool !!! . How did you make, for example, the soccer ball pen ? . Like ... make the curved grooves ? . Or is that a volleyball pen ? . (I'm not too good on sports ).

Wood Butcher

Local Chapter Leader
Hey, thanks for the comments. The pens are all made from polymer clay except the bowling ball, it's made from Ebonite (what bowling balls used to be made from) and it has the three holes in it. I'll add a white filled engraving it at some point.
The golf ball is an older development that took a lot of time to figure out. Each dimple is made one at a time with a small "dimpler" I made from a Corian scrap. The tennis ball was pretty easy, I applied the clay then rolled it over a 40 grit sandpaper so it has the feel of a tennis ball. I then cut out the seam area and laid in the gray and smoothed it out. The baseball has been super popular and I expect the softball will be too. My granddaughter's sb team will no doubt want to order a few.
The all white is the volley ball and the grooves are, again, made with a tool I improvised. The soccer ball drove me knuts. I have worked on for a year plus trying to get the pentagon/hexagon to work together and it will not. I settled for all hexagons and added the very small stitching that is on the seams, same as it is on the football. Stitches are made with another improvised tool. The basketball doesn't show all that I wanted but that's due to my photography, not the pen. Both the football and basketball are textured like the real thing but that doesn't show very well.
This project has been a while in the making but it has been a fun challenge too. Thanks for looking.
WB

Top Bottom