Lessons Learned, Questions Raised

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

RPM

I took advantage of BB's sale on streamline el grande kits a week or so back. Turned my first one last week.

Lessons learned - for those of you unfamiliar with this kit, it uses 3 tubes and the cap tubes are not glued in until after turning
- being anal and wanting to make sure that I had my drill press table adjusted such that I could change out the two bits for the cap without moving the table, I forgot to lock down the table and of course, it moved. I recovered from that and managed to center all of the holes. lesson - be sure table is locked down.
- when it came time to glue in the unglued tubes, I used thick CA to do the deed. all went well and I completed the assembly of the pen. lesson - be sure that the CA has totally cured (i.e. no fumes) before final assembly. I now know that CA fumes can effectively etch a Gold TI finish rendering it as scrap (fortunatly it was the nib, a screw in part).

Now that I have learned lessons, questions.
- After making this pen and having it come our fine, I see no reason that the parts could not be pressed in with the tubes glued into the cap. Am I missing something?
- Given my CA experience, what is a normal curing time to ensure that the plating is not etched (no noticable odor, x number of hours?)

Sorry for the long post, hope this helps someone else avoid these problems and I'm curious about my questions.

Richard

Rudy Vey

This is actually my favourite RB/FP kit. And yes, I do glue the tubes in before I turn the cap barrel. Never understood why one should not do this, the little brass thingy (the one where the finial screws into)just presses in easily. One tip, I would not use PU glue due the foaming and the chance of pushing tubes out of alignment. I use epoxy glue for glueing in the tubes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom