lessons learned

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

D.Oliver

This a pen blank I recently made.

PenBlank.jpg

Well, I did to this blank what that raccoon did to the hunting dog a few days ago. I have been having some problems drilling perfectly straight holes as of late. It seems every forth or fifth hole is crooked ( I think the problem might be dull drill bits). I didn't want to chance a crooked hole on this blank so I first drilled the hole for the brass tube. I then laid out the pattern to align with the hole. I drilled all of the dowel holes on one side completely through the blank. I then glued the dowels into the blank. I then took the 27/64" brad point bit I used to drill the tube hole and driled out the dowels. I then drilled the dowel holes on the other side and again reamed the hole with the 27/64" drill bit. I then glued the tube in the put it on the lathe the started turning. When I started getting close to final diminsions this is what I had.

Pen 015.jpg

The brad point bit had broke the dowels rather than a clean cut. I thought maybe I could save it. I had ERC sawdust from turning the dowels.
Pen 016.jpg

So I put a drop of Thick CA in the holes and tried to pack the sawdust into the holes. I then drenched everything in thin CA.
Pen 017.jpg

I let that dry and then used a skew and some sandpaper to clean it up.
Pen 019.jpg

You could see exactly where the repairs were made. Not only that but I sanded through a spot wher the drill bit must have wandered a little during one of the reaming processes. I ended up tossing this one. I figured I'd share it with everyone so they could avoid mistakes like these. What I'm going to correct is that I'm going to drill the dowel holes first and then drill the tube hole so that the dowels are supported and won't snap off. I may have got away with doing it the way I did if I had a 27/64" standard twist drill bit. I don't think it would have snapped the dowels off like the brad point dit did. As for failed "save", I think I need finer filler material. As the old saying goes "I have too many of my own mistakes to be making anybody elses". Hopefully someone will find this useful. Thoughts anyone? What about the design. Thumbs up or down?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

D.Oliver

Here is pictuer of where I sanded through. If it wasn't for this I probably would have went ahead and made a pen out of it and just used it around the house or something.
Pen 020.jpg

D.Oliver

Well, Mark, I guess you and I are the only ones that make mistakes. But on the bright side since were the ones doing it, we have market cornered!

shortcast

I like the design. What kit is it intended for.

Or are you one of those crazy skilled kitless dudes?

Drstrangefart

I enjoy doing fills, and knowing me, I probably woulda slapped it on a Slimline and called it a day. That being said, I'm trying to figure out how to finely crush acrylic scraps to fill with. Make tiny chips and powder. So far none of my ideas have worked out.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Derek, the design is cool. I think you solved your problem yourself. Drilling crooked is not good. Switching drillbits may help. I've never tried this but, have made many segmented blanks. Try saturating the blank with this CA as you're turning the blank down to size. Let it set up after each application of CA. I like the idea and, I'm sure you will see it thru.

Top Bottom