Lesson of the day...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Joe S.

So I started my 2nd trustone tonight, a black one, armed only with the knowledge that these things are a little bit of a problem and to freeze it before drilling. The drilling, gluing, milling, and turning went great. I handled the stuff like a time bomb and I thought I was out of the blowup phase after I turned it to shape. Then I started sanding... At the moment I felt proud of myself for concurring the most notorious trustone on the IAP, it crumbled. Lesson for the day is: watch the heat level while sanding and turn down the speed!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Xander

I must be very lucky or very good.:tongue: The first acrylic I turned (3rd pen EVER) was inlace acrylester, and shortly after was black/gold Tru-stone. I handled both as though they were nothing special (I didn't know better) and had zero problems. I keep reading about people having this or that problem and I can't help wondering why all the trouble? :biggrin:
I drill at about 750rpm (slowest my lathe goes) and do not use any coolant (drills get HOT), and I sand at 3200rpm with no issues.

Good luck. :)

Joe S.

I must be very lucky or very good.:tongue: The first acrylic I turned (3rd pen EVER) was inlace acrylester, and shortly after was black/gold Tru-stone. I handled both as though they were nothing special (I didn't know better) and had zero problems. I keep reading about people having this or that problem and I can't help wondering why all the trouble? :biggrin:
I drill at about 750rpm (slowest my lathe goes) and do not use any coolant (drills get HOT), and I sand at 3200rpm with no issues.

Good luck. :)

I've had minimal problems with inlace acrylester. When I was just starting penturning I looked at the woodturningz catalog and went "ooo, snakewood looks nice!" $20 later I had the blown up remains of the 2 blanks and did an Internet search and found this crazy website all about pens, I was then hooked on the IAP.

Russknan

Joe S: Not to hijack the thread, but I'm about to try a snakewood blank that I purchased. Can you advise me so I won't be writing back, "Me too!"? Anybody else? Russ

Joe S.

Wait untill winter, (unless you have your shop heated 24/7) so the blank and drill bit are frozen and the whole shop is icy cold. Cut your blanks about a 1/4" longer than normal and drill (very slowly) up to the last 1/4" and cut the rest off. Drilling all the way through will crack it almost every time. After gluing let everything cool over night, take light cuts with sharp tools and take it slow. Wait a week before assembly to see if you get any big cracks.
That's my technique and it's not the best or only way, but it worked for me.
Ps. If doing anything with snakewood and you use any amount of force other than the bare minimum for guiding the tool (or bit), it will break.

Fred

HEAT is your problem and it only gets worse from there. IF either of these materials - not to mention 1000's of others - feel warm to the touch then you are micro-seconds from complete failure.

Go slow, take your time ... contrary to beliefs we are not running any races here to my knowledge. :wink:

Yes, heat is the cause of "problems" and speed can, for sure, contribute. However, there are NO GUARANTEES.

I'm just now getting back to turning some pens (was away from it for a couple months to do another project). I have a couple shows coming up the next few weeks and I picked out a number of nice blanks to fill out the inventory. Among them were a number of Tru-stones. Some I've turned before (like the Larimar) and a couple new ones (like Sonoran Sunset). I am ALWAYS super careful when I drill Tru-stone. I clear the flutes often,and even take a "break" to allow the blank to cool down. Didn't matter this time. Blew out 2 blanks. I salvaged one (the Larimar) but about the only thing I'll make from the other is a keychain. CRAP!

Learnings: Long pen bodies like the Clicker are ripe for trouble, esp when working Tru-stone. While I like to drill on the lathe (for accuracy) it is slower to back out the bit that way as compared to the drill press. Gotta figure a way to keep it clean and cool as well as accurate. No Guarantees

Last edited:

desertrat

Have done a lot of Trustone and everything comes down to sharp drill, slow feed and clear chips every 1/4 inch drilled. The only failure I've had was due to a dull drill. Drill in 1/8th inch on one end then reverse the blank and drill all the way through. This works for me.

Top Bottom