Leopard Wood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jroach21

I am trying to turn my first blank and I chose leopard Wood. I having a hard time getting it turned. I put it on the mandrel, but as soon as I put the gouge to the mandrel the wood stops spinning. I have to just barely touch the wood to start shaving it down. I have tightened everything so I'm sure thats not the problem. Is this just the nature of the wood or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

kovalcik

If the mandrel nut is tightened (you do not want it too tight) then you need to introduce the gouge to the wood differently.

With the lathe off position the blank so that a flat side is facing you. Put the bevel of your gouge flat against that side. The cutting edge should be right around center of the blank. Notice the angle of the handle. Pull the gouge away and turn on the lathe. Keep the gouge at that same angle as you slowly move it into the blank. Keep the cuts light. As it rounds out it will go better. If you are still having problems, try rounding the corners on a belt sander or turn it round between centers then put it back on the mandrel.

crokett

I have turned leopard wood and it should not be that difficult. It takes a light touch at first to knock the corners off. As was mentioned, some sand the corners off on a belt sander. I don't, it is faster to do it on the lathe once you learn how.

low_48

I am trying to turn my first blank and I chose leopard Wood. I having a hard time getting it turned. I put it on the mandrel, but as soon as I put the gouge to the mandrel the wood stops spinning.

Thanks!

Put the gouge to the wood, not the mandrel! LOL!!!! Seriouly, what speed are you turning? I like to turn at something over 2500 rpm. You might make a fixture and cut off the corners on the bandsaw. Don't do it without a fixture, but it might help you.

CrimsonKeel

only thing that lets you stop a blank IMO is looseness. tighten your mandrel up. then try and hand twist the blank. can you turn the blank on the mandrel without using alot of force? if so your not tight. tighten more. Id guess you may need an extra spacer as your knurled knut is probably bottoming out on the threads and isnt tightening on the bushings

Ambidex

I am trying to turn my first blank and I chose leopard Wood. I having a hard time getting it turned. I put it on the mandrel, but as soon as I put the gouge to the mandrel the wood stops spinning.

Thanks!

Put the gouge to the wood, not the mandrel! LOL!!!! Seriouly, what speed are you turning? I like to turn at something over 2500 rpm. You might make a fixture and cut off the corners on the bandsaw. Don't do it without a fixture, but it might help you.

My first thought was either too loose or turning too slow:wink:

jroach21

I figured out the problem. the rod that I was putting the wood on was stuck too far into the tailstock. The reason it wasn't getting ticket is becuase the knurled knut was bottoming out....I was able to turn a pen yesterday...all is well.

kovalcik

I figured out the problem. the rod that I was putting the wood on was stuck too far into the tailstock. The reason it wasn't getting ticket is becuase the knurled knut was bottoming out....I was able to turn a pen yesterday...all is well.

Maybe just a terminology issue, but when you say "the rod that I was putting the wood on was stuck too far into the tailstock." what does that mean? Are you using a mandrel saver? If so you don't use the knurled nut. You use the nut and a 60 degree live center into the end of the rod OR the mandrel saver with the rod (mandrel) going through the mandrel saver into the tailstock.

Top Bottom