Lefty Rollerballs?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Is there a rollerball refill out there that dries quicker than most, and is preferred by the lefties among us? For those that might not know, lefties write backwards :), and their hand follows the pen, often smearing the ink before it dries.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
There is a somewhat different problem with fountain pens. As a right hander uses a fountain pen it pulls the quill but as a left(I am a lefty) uses a fountain it pushes. This can cause a fountain pen to feel kind of scratchy.

seamus7227

There is a somewhat different problem with fountain pens. As a right hander uses a fountain pen it pulls the quill but as a left(I am a lefty) uses a fountain it pushes. This can cause a fountain pen to feel kind of scratchy.

just curious if you have tried a Bock nib? That nib combined with the Iroshizuku ink(produced by Pilot) that I get from Indy-pen-dance has been the best writing experience ever for me for the last year! You talk about being addicted, I want every color there is now!:biggrin::rolleyes:

RMayoIII

someone once told me that we were all born lefties, some of us have learned to overcome the handicap!:biggrin:
Seriously though, I'm also interested in knowing the answer to the question about faster drying ink.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
I intentionally tried to smear the Parker gel ink, and couldn't do it. I drew a mark and immediate ran my finger over it... no smear at all.
Is that a rollerball ink? I've known lots of left handers who had no problem with ball points.
My wife and daughter when writing with a pen, write "upside down" and hence their hand is leading the pen. Oddly when my daughter is writing with a pencil she does it different than with a pen (even a ballpoint like a BIC).

Edit: Thinking of left handers my oldest brother was the most unusual person I ever met. He wrote left handed, he preferred aiming a rifle from his left shoulder and shooting a handgun with his left hand in control. However, he threw right handed and did anything that had a throwing motion (like hammering nails) right handed. He used a saw with his left hand. He shaved the right side of his face with his right hand and the left side with his right. The only think I know of that he did both left and right handed (aside from shaving) was shooting a rifle. While in the army, he trained with a 1903 Springfield bolt action and they were right handed so he had to learn to shoot right handed to get through basic at home he always used a slide or lever action rifle and shot left handed.

Last edited:

Dan Masshardt

I'm also a lefty.

What people need to realize is that the paper is just as important as the ink with a rollerball type pen.

Some papers 'take ink' better than others.

I use good paper and have zero problem with smudges using a Schmidt rollerball refill.

Otherwise, it may be generally helpful to use a fine point rather than a medium point on whatever refill you use.

panamag8or

I intentionally tried to smear the Parker gel ink, and couldn't do it. I drew a mark and immediate ran my finger over it... no smear at all.
Is that a rollerball ink? I've known lots of left handers who had no problem with ball points.

Yeah, it was the rollerball refill. They're not cheap, but if it solves the smearing problem...

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Schmidt makes an extra fine rollerball that I really like and it seems to dry very quick but I am right handed. It would be worth a try to see if it is better for lefties.

PenMan1

YES! Pilot G2 .7 and .5 dry almost instantly, and it is a direct fit for the component rollerball sets. I keep a good supply of these refills on hand, and always load this refill for the South Paws.

Oh, and by the way, If you keep a small bottle of Acetone and a Qtip around, you can demonstrate "check washing". It is very difficult to make the Pilot gel ink in the G2 disappear.

Last edited:
Top Bottom