Leather for pen blanks?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Cavediver

Some of the leather pens shown here have really piqued my interest. Since I've got a leather store nearby (Tandy Leather), it's almost mandatory that I give it a try :biggrin:

Tandy has a bunch of different remnant bags for sale. Are there particular leather types I need to buy or avoid? I'm guessing the stuff that's heavily oiled wouldn't be a good idea, but beyond that I haven't a clue. Should I be looking at the heavy duty stuff (tool belt / holsters), or will suede and other soft leathers do the trick?

Thanks!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wyone

I have only made a couple leather pens, but plan on making some more in the next few weeks. I like all different thicknesses and types and colors of leather. Each gives a different effect. The messiest part is the actual glue up. LOL

This is one of my favorite pens I have ever made.

Attachments

• Leather edited.jpg
    Leather edited.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 609

Cavediver

Thanks Mitch. That's actually the pen that kick-started my research :)
Did you have any troubles with particular types of leather, or did it all work regardless of the grain / weight / etc.?

asyler

Local Chapter Leader
i've made several leather pens, i got a harbor freight die kit, punched out disks, dampened them and made a gorilla gule 'sausage' wrapped in wax paper,lightly clamped so as not to distort, let dry, drill leaving the wax paper in place , add tube and gently turn,,.( i used 80 grit sand paper) finished off with kiwi shoe polish,, i used random thickness and color leather scraps
good luck

Sataro

To cut out my leather for pens, I use a .50 cal shell. I cut off the primer end. Then I ground the cut end down to about a 45 degree angle. Place the neck end into my drill press. It will cut out nice disc size leather rings for making pens.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 405
Last edited:

Cavediver

Thanks Ben! PM on the way!

Great idea Billy. I was planning something similar for punching the interior hole using a sharpened length of pen-tube brass, but didn't have a good idea about cutting the outside . I don't have a .50 shell, but there's more than a few of gun or surplus stores in my area that should have one.

oregoncarver

I use a short piece of brass pipe ground sharp on one end to punch out the sections. I drill a 7/8 inch hole in a 2x4 so it is partly exposed and glue up the leather by stacking it and adding expoxy each piece. Top with wax paper and clamp. Drill and then cut away the waste wood. I also like tk mix leather and wood together.

Huskysibe

Approx how many pieces of leather does it take to make your blank? I suppose I could enlarge the picture in the 2nd post and count the rings. I assume the varying thickness of leather is a deciding factor also.

Top Bottom