Leasons learned I guess!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dale Allen

Someone said to me lately while examining one of my cigar pens that they preferred a click pen.
Well, of course that sounded like a challenge to me.
This was time consuming and difficult in many respects. And, there are things that went wrong, as you can plainly see.
The thumb click end could be tapered better but the result would be more pointed and since the click movement length is long. it would be more difficult to push far enough to activate the click.
Also, I measured wrong on the foot end and cut back too far. The writing tip was exposed so I fit an extra piece on that end. Of course the wood grain doesn't match.
Finally, this was an attempt at making a decal for the band. Something I have been meaning to try. I just can't print a picture with detail that is a good as the real thing. Also, I lost a small piece at the top during the transfer.
Oh well! My advise is....Don't try this at home!

Attachments

• cig_click.jpg
    cig_click.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 311
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

firewhatfire

How are we gonna get any better if we dont try? I find the more I fail the more I advance in my pen making skills. I would give it another go and see if I could change the next one for the better.

Phil and his 2 cents worth.

plantman

:biggrin::biggrin: You know the old saying " nothing ventured, nothing gained ". I do think that holds true in pen turning !! Every time you venture into trying a new idea, you gain knowledge and knowhow. I think it looks good for a first try. I would agree that an ash on the end would look nice also. Jim S

Dale Allen

Thanks all for the comments, it is indeed appreciated. This kind of encouragement is priceless.
Question, what would the ash end look like? The writing tip would need to be exposed so it seems to me it would be as though you had just lit the very end. Having a larger area of ash that did not have the smaller area at the end would inhibit the writing function. I suppose I could try a removable ash that has a magnet retainer, but that would detract from the convenience.
Or, perhaps turning the whole thing around and putting the writing tip on the long point end. Hummm, that's an idea!

Top Bottom