Learning - Don't buy one of each pen kit to "try-out"

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RegisG

Well, I kind of have to laugh at myself for jumping in and buying a variety of pen kits. Which means, a variety of bushings which "may" or may NOT" work for more than one type kit. At least there seems to be a limit to drill bit sizes, 4 so far.
The kit manufactures must have internal contests to see who can come up with a kit that needs a few thousands difference in bushing from other kits. I can almost hear the weekly design meeting.

Oh, I'm having so much fun with all of this. Yep, some mistakes, some, "not-so-wise" purchases but all in all fun. Much less expensive than golf!!!

For those that are not in pen making for business, do you stay with 2 or 3 styles, or do you make a large collection of styles?

I have learned to NOT buy, "bargain" or closeout kits until I learn to know more about what should/must be there.

And thanks for tips I've learned from folks here.

Regis

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

stonepecker

Regis.
We have all made some type of mistake like this.
After a while, you can either order new bushings with each bunch of kits OR order kits that you already have the bushings.

Personally, when I try a new pen kit I try to use the bushings I have or order a complete bushing kit with the drill bits that are needed. And I have even doubled up on drill bits at times.

They don't go to waste lucky for us.
Enjoy the hobby and fun. Laughing at yourself is part of the fun.

jttheclockman

After you get done trying and experimenting you will settle into certain go to kits. These will be ones that sell well and look good and not all the gimmicks. It is ok to try new kits but it is so cheap to order the bushing and a couple extra sets of tubes to go with them and then decide if you like the kit for future projects. Just label or mark your tubes and bushings for each kit so that you can identify latter. Have fun.

Skie_M

Mmm ... since you're just starting out, keeping the bushings in their original baggies is an OK storage and identification solution, but you're going to want to work out a much more organized and MUCH LARGER CAPACITY storage solution before too long.

I currently have one of those 24-compartment storage boxes from Harbor Freight ($3.99), and it has ONE available space left .... :)

KenV

Regis, another way to play the game is to pick a bushing set and buy one each of the pens which use that size bushing.

When you hit the Junior Gent bushings you can buy a lot of pens......

RegisG

Regis, another way to play the game is to pick a bushing set and buy one each of the pens which use that size bushing.

So now I have a good reason to use the bushing/tube references on the home page here. I have Android so the apple app won't help. Does it cross reference the companies or just within a company?

Thanks for the tips,
Regis

MikeinMich

Yeah, every pen turning company should have a big "Before you buy a bunch of stuff" list of lessons like this, I did exactly the same, then had to try to figure out metric and 27/64" vs 25/32" conversions

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Mmm ... since you're just starting out, keeping the bushings in their original baggies is an OK storage and identification solution, but you're going to want to work out a much more organized and MUCH LARGER CAPACITY storage solution before too long.

I currently have one of those 24-compartment storage boxes from Harbor Freight ($3.99), and it has ONE available space left .... :)
True I have a 60 drawer chest with about 4 or 5 unused---and most of them I don't even use anymore and some that I want I'll need to buy when I get the kits.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam

So now I have a good reason to use the bushing/tube references on the home page here. I have Android so the apple app won't help. Does it cross reference the companies or just within a company?

Thanks for the tips,
Regis
Sierra Bushings as well and when you go to bigger kits Emperor(Dayacom) there are a bunch of kits that using the same drill bit and bushings.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Like Ken noted, there is a composite chart containing data from all 20 of the currently documented suppliers as well as an individual chart for each of those suppliers.

Only the app is searchable & sortable. The app also contains instructions for most kits, so they are readily available at the tap of a button. There are many other neat features as well.

Unfortunately, no one has yet stepped up to develop an alternate platform app for Android or any other device or web application, so we can't say when or even if any other alternatives will ever be available. We do keep the bat light out for any volunteers though.

Here's something to consider though - buy the cheapest iPhone 4S that you can find & keep it in your shop to run the app if you don't want to use it for anything else. Just think of it as another shop tool.

I would say I'm in the same boat as you, but I enjoy it. I have several of these tackle box inserts each cubby labeled for the bushings and pen kit names.

I like having the options, you just have to be mindful when buying the kits to check the bushings needed. If I'm buying a large batch of a single kit I will usually buy another set of bushings for that batch.

And once you have spent the money on one of each of the drill bits needed, not so expensive after that to keep sharpened or replace as needed.

Also look into the starter kits from PSI, and some of the other vendors, they usually come with the bushings and an extra drill bit at no charge for those kits included.

IF you feel overwhelmed with quantity, sure you can do 3-4 different styles and stick with that, but having all the options is what makes it a fun hobby, and not repetitive for me.

Attachments

• tackle box insert.jpg
    tackle box insert.jpg
    256.8 KB · Views: 170

Bikerdad

Unfortunately, no one has yet stepped up to develop an alternate platform app for Android or any other device or web application, so we can't say when or even if any other alternatives will ever be available. We do keep the bat light out for any volunteers though.
I am considering stepping up, if I do though it won't be a quick thing, as I've never done any app development. While branching out (I'm a Biz Intelligence guy) would likely be good for my resume, it would also take time away from pen turning and woodworking. decisions decisions.

Here's something to consider though - buy the cheapest iPhone 4S that you can find & keep it in your shop to run the app if you don't want to use it for anything else. Just think of it as another shop tool.
There are also numerous emulators that allow one to run Ios apps on a Windows platform. I have no personal experience with them, having just yesterday confirmed my suspicion that they exist.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
John,
Just send me a note whenever you want to get started. I will send you some info to help you understand the overall design & scope of work and I will be glad to support you anyway that I can during the development process.

I realize that there are some Windows emulators for iOS apps. I'm not familiar with any of them, but I suspect that the user experience will not be very satisfying. Our app relies heavily on various finger gestures which are difficult to emulate in a non-touch screen device. Even the built-in emulator in the Apple iOS Development Kit leaves a lot to be desired. It is possible to perform all gestures with a mouse/tracking device, but it's not the same by any stretch.

If anyone does try some of the Windows emulators, I'd be very interested in seeing a review. Personally though, I only use Windows when I have no other choice, so I have no interest in them myself.

Edgar

howsitwork

I maybe a bit slow on the uptake but I just bought a set of digital calipers . eghttp://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/100mm-4-Digital-Electronic-Vernier-Caliper-Measuring-With-Depth-Gauge-UK-F3I5-/291937921323?hash=item43f8db292b:g:FzkAAOSwQaJXRtrq

These are the 4" version as they don't get in the way but are big enough to be useful. Wouldn't be without them now. You can use the reverse points to mark or rather score lines on the blank safely having locked them on the size you want ( Take care!!)

They mean I can measure the bushing size I need and make it ( I have a metal working lathe as well). However they also let you check dimensions quickly and convert metric to imperial. I even have a larger set that do imperial fractions , but to be honest that's more of a gimmick than any real use to me.

Edgar many thanks that's another justification for me buying an apple iPhone today ( don't like mobiles makes you too easy to find ). Might grow to like it I suppose as I must admit I find the ipad air very handy.

Happy New Year and successful turning.

Ian

Top Bottom