Learning - Don't buy one of each pen kit to "try-out" - Page 2 - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Penturning
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Penturning General penturning discussions not specifically addressed in one of the specialty forums.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2017, 11:09 AM   #11 (permalink)
New Member Advocate

Photos: 23

Like Ken noted, there is a composite chart containing data from all 20 of the currently documented suppliers as well as an individual chart for each of those suppliers.

Only the app is searchable & sortable. The app also contains instructions for most kits, so they are readily available at the tap of a button. There are many other neat features as well.

Unfortunately, no one has yet stepped up to develop an alternate platform app for Android or any other device or web application, so we can't say when or even if any other alternatives will ever be available. We do keep the bat light out for any volunteers though.

Here's something to consider though - buy the cheapest iPhone 4S that you can find & keep it in your shop to run the app if you don't want to use it for anything else. Just think of it as another shop tool.
Old 01-11-2017, 11:29 AM   #12 (permalink)

Photos: 0

I would say I'm in the same boat as you, but I enjoy it. I have several of these tackle box inserts each cubby labeled for the bushings and pen kit names.

I like having the options, you just have to be mindful when buying the kits to check the bushings needed. If I'm buying a large batch of a single kit I will usually buy another set of bushings for that batch.

And once you have spent the money on one of each of the drill bits needed, not so expensive after that to keep sharpened or replace as needed.

Also look into the starter kits from PSI, and some of the other vendors, they usually come with the bushings and an extra drill bit at no charge for those kits included.

IF you feel overwhelmed with quantity, sure you can do 3-4 different styles and stick with that, but having all the options is what makes it a fun hobby, and not repetitive for me.
Attached Thumbnails
tackle-box-insert.jpg  
Old 01-11-2017, 12:47 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
Unfortunately, no one has yet stepped up to develop an alternate platform app for Android or any other device or web application, so we can't say when or even if any other alternatives will ever be available. We do keep the bat light out for any volunteers though.
I am considering stepping up, if I do though it won't be a quick thing, as I've never done any app development. While branching out (I'm a Biz Intelligence guy) would likely be good for my resume, it would also take time away from pen turning and woodworking. decisions decisions.

Quote:
Here's something to consider though - buy the cheapest iPhone 4S that you can find & keep it in your shop to run the app if you don't want to use it for anything else. Just think of it as another shop tool.
There are also numerous emulators that allow one to run Ios apps on a Windows platform. I have no personal experience with them, having just yesterday confirmed my suspicion that they exist.
Bikerdad is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 01-11-2017, 01:20 PM   #14 (permalink)
New Member Advocate

Photos: 23

John,
Just send me a note whenever you want to get started. I will send you some info to help you understand the overall design & scope of work and I will be glad to support you anyway that I can during the development process.

I realize that there are some Windows emulators for iOS apps. I'm not familiar with any of them, but I suspect that the user experience will not be very satisfying. Our app relies heavily on various finger gestures which are difficult to emulate in a non-touch screen device. Even the built-in emulator in the Apple iOS Development Kit leaves a lot to be desired. It is possible to perform all gestures with a mouse/tracking device, but it's not the same by any stretch.

If anyone does try some of the Windows emulators, I'd be very interested in seeing a review. Personally though, I only use Windows when I have no other choice, so I have no interest in them myself.

Edgar
Old 01-14-2017, 01:57 PM   #15 (permalink)

I maybe a bit slow on the uptake but I just bought a set of digital calipers . eghttp://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/100mm-4-Digital-Electronic-Vernier-Caliper-Measuring-With-Depth-Gauge-UK-F3I5-/291937921323?hash=item43f8db292b:g:FzkAAOSwQaJXRtr q

These are the 4" version as they don't get in the way but are big enough to be useful. Wouldn't be without them now. You can use the reverse points to mark or rather score lines on the blank safely having locked them on the size you want ( Take care!!)

They mean I can measure the bushing size I need and make it ( I have a metal working lathe as well). However they also let you check dimensions quickly and convert metric to imperial. I even have a larger set that do imperial fractions , but to be honest that's more of a gimmick than any real use to me.

Edgar many thanks that's another justification for me buying an apple iPhone today ( don't like mobiles makes you too easy to find ). Might grow to like it I suppose as I must admit I find the ipad air very handy.

Happy New Year and successful turning.

Ian
howsitwork is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads