Learned some things today ... including how to get rich

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Three things I learned today ... there may be more :biggrin:

1) Berea has a new website design

2) Berea offers a pack of 5 "slimlines" (called Sleek Line) for $6.50

.... See also jzerger's thread of today: http://www.penturners.org/forum/f14/slim-line-mechanisms-134245/

3) Ed Brown says you can make 5 of these pens in an hour !!! (check out the Exoticblanks website, searching for Longline ). He even implies you can get rich quick this way :biggrin:

.... Here it is: Exotic Blanks :: Pen Kits :: Pen Kits (By Pen Kit Name) :: Sleek Longline Slimline :: Sleek Longline Slimline Pen Kits (5 Pack) - Chrome

.... For me it takes 15 minutes to cut one blank and drill the hole ( after I find the drill bit ! ); another 15 to glue in the tube .......

.... I guess that means I am a candidate for Derek's Contest for the Turning Challenged !!!! :biggrin:

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Skie_M

.... See also jzerger's thread of today: http://www.penturners.org/forum/f14/slim-line-mechanisms-134245/

3) Ed Brown says you can make 5 of these pens in an hour !!! (check out the Exoticblanks website, searching for Longline ). He even implies you can get rich quick this way :biggrin:

.... Here it is: Exotic Blanks :: Pen Kits :: Pen Kits (By Pen Kit Name) :: Sleek Longline Slimline :: Sleek Longline Slimline Pen Kits (5 Pack) - Chrome

.... For me it takes 15 minutes to cut one blank and drill the hole ( after I find the drill bit ! ); another 15 to glue in the tube .......

.... I guess that means I am a candidate for Derek's Contest for the Turning Challenged !!!! :biggrin:

You forgot the 20 minutes to un-glue YOURSELF from the pen blank before you can get started .... and yes, that would make you qualified for the Turning Challenged Challenge. By the way, do you have a Wood Lathe too? :)
My Favorite Lathe...

KBs Pensnmore

I guess that means I am a candidate for the Challenged Turning Contest
Are you talking about me again:biggrin:
Kryn

Sabaharr

I am sure the time estimate is for someone well organized and set up ready to go and batch producing them by performing an operation on several kits at a time instead of doing them one at a time. The organized part would shoot me down. $4 a pen cost and $20 each selling price is $16 profit x 5 per hour = $80 per hour profit. Hmmmm might be time for me to organize myself. Just got to find a way to sell them as fast as I can make them.

OKLAHOMAN

I am sure the time estimate is for someone well organized and set up ready to go and batch producing them by performing an operation on several kits at a time instead of doing them one at a time. The organized part would shoot me down. $4 a pen cost and $20 each selling price is $16 profit x 5 per hour = $80 per hour profit. Hmmmm might be time for me to organize myself. Just got to find a way to sell them as fast as I can make them.

Hmmm $80. per hour profit, now deduct your time ordering said equipment, component set, blanks, Ca, sandpaper Micro Mesh, shop cost (electric, lathe, drill press, turning tools, bushings,etc. etc. Then your cost to sell these pens at $20 each. If your selling at shows deduct the cost of the show, deduct your time spent getting to. setting up,selling for usually 8 hours a day, repacking to go home, and gas spent, tent cost.
These costs are never figured by most but they are COSTS and there are more hidden cost so your $80 per hour profit is nowhere near a true profit.
If selling on line such as Ebay,Esty or your own web site you still have these cost plus shipping, packaging, time spent listing and relisting if not solf and those listing fees.
Selling pens at $20 each you'll never get get rich quick as implied, but you will work on your hobby.

raar25

You guys forgot to mention the $5 shipping costs. The reality is the basic cost is $9 for the most boring plain wood and the cost goes up from there. Assuming the you use a little nicer wood the rock bottom cost for this pen is $10. So selling them for $20 gets you to $40/ hour pretax (sorry you can only get 4 done because you have to spend 12 minutes ordering material from Berea). Oh by the way at $20 this pen will not fly off the shelves so dont plan on selling 160 /week.

You have to ask yourself, if this is a way to get rich why arent they doing it themself?

edstreet

Also forgot the 120 minutes for the posting and gloating in soyp. Also the 200 minutes given to those who point out problems because you rushed and cut corners to make it in the bogus 15 minutes. Also the 500 minutes scouting for work to copy for upcoming lathe sessions. :)

jzerger

Since no one answered on the other thread: 1) can you use this longline or sleekline mechanism in a shorter 7mm tube and 2) are these mechanisms available for purchase separately from the kit?
Thanks for your help,
John

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Since no one answered on the other thread: 1) can you use this longline or sleekline mechanism in a shorter 7mm tube
It CAN be done, it is not real easy

and 2) are these mechanisms available for purchase separately from the kit? I don't think so==when they are selling the whole kit for a little over a dollar, it is unlikely they will "part it out"
Thanks for your help,
John

Answers to the best of MY knowledge---Ed
(Yes, I HAVE tried it)

jzerger

Thanks Ed. If the mechanism is superior to the traditional slimline (as I think it is) is there a reason the mechanism can't be "tweaked" to make a better one even if it does cost more. I realize I won't ever make real money doing this, nor do I care... But love the hobby. Thanks.

Top Bottom