Learned a couple of things today

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rockytime

I learned that the bushing size does not always match the size of the pen components. I'm just getting started in this pen turning thing. I was turning a slimline kit. I turned the blanks down to the bushing, thinking this is going real well. Upon assembling the pen I discovered the blanks were just slightly larger than the pen components. Just a couple of thou but even so. I also learned that the letter drill "D" fits the standard mandrels very nicely for making your own bushings. I also learned to stay out of WoodCraft unless you can leave your credit card at home. I don't learn quickly or easily so that's it for today.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

randyrls

Les; It is often better to leave the blank a bit larger than the fittings than too small. If the blank is too small at the nib end it feels terrible!

Fittings vary slightly because of manufacturing tolerances, and platings.

A set of digital calipers is a good investment. I aim for about .010" over size when I start sanding.

Tip: Put the calipers on the fitting and press the Zero (origin) button. You now have a reading that shows how much oversize your blank is.

Rockytime

Les; It is often better to leave the blank a bit larger than the fittings than too small. If the blank is too small at the nib end it feels terrible!

Fittings vary slightly because of manufacturing tolerances, and platings.

A set of digital calipers is a good investment. I aim for about .010" over size when I start sanding.

Tip: Put the calipers on the fitting and press the Zero (origin) button. You now have a reading that shows how much oversize your blank is.

Thanks for the suggestions. I've done a lot of metal turning so I have the calipers. I'll go for the 10 thou. I'm also thinking of turning on centers with bushings.
Thanks again. Les

That should work, but if the quality control has the parts over or under sized using just the bushing will not change the outcome. I have not been turning without bushings. and using the calipers to get the ends correct. so I am not one of the professionals, I just hear their comments bring use calipers instead of bushings repeatedly.

Good Luck

its_virgil

Berea resells Berea kits (for the most part) and they can be purchased elsewhere much cheaper. Other pen turning stuff they sell is also sold by others cheaper. PSI kits, as well as most of what PSI sells, are also sold by other vendors cheaper. But your day was well worth the education.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

I also learned to stay out of WoodCraft unless you can leave your credit card at home.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Berea resells Berea kits (for the most part) and they can be purchased elsewhere much cheaper. Other pen turning stuff they sell is also sold by others cheaper. PSI kits, as well as most of what PSI sells, are also sold by other vendors cheaper. But your day was well worth the education.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

I also learned to stay out of WoodCraft unless you can leave your credit card at home.

I believe what Don meant to say is "Woodcraft resells Berea kits" which is true. As is the rest of his information above.

Rockytime

My thought on using bushings when turning on centers is to prevent the centers from flaring out the brass center and possibly splitting the blank. Then using an precision bushing inside the brass barrel. The bushing will have to fit the ID of the barrel perfectly. Unless it does it will lose accuracy despite using centers. The larger end of the bushing will be smaller than the diameter of the finished barrel, then using a mike or caliper to determine the final size. Accuracy will depend on how accurate I make the bushing.

PeetyInMich

I cringe every time my carbide "kisses" my bushings. I know that the fresh ones are close to the desired diameter, but after a few pens, the diameter is reduced. The veteran bushings get used on wood blanks where CA finish will bring them up to the hardware. And sandpaper will bring them down quickly too.

Top Bottom