lead size?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

chazmonro

On the slim line pencils, what is the lead size that they use? My dad is an engineer and he really likes the zebra m-301 pencils with the .5 lead. I'd love to be able to make a pencil with similar characteristics.

pencil-m301.jpg

Thanks,
Chuck

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Chuck Key

Originally posted by chazmonro
<br />My dad is an engineer and he really likes the zebra m-301 pencils with the .5 lead. I'd love to be able to make a pencil with similar characteristics.

Thanks,
Chuck

I like to convert the pentel pencils in .5, .7, or .9mm. Engineers, Accountants, CPA's all seem to like them. Here is a link to a few examples.

http://www.firechat.com/splash.jpg

and in Titanium:

http://www.firechat.com/Titanium1.jpg

Thanks,
Chuckie

alamocdc

Originally posted by Wes3328
<br />Chuck the SL that I got from woodcraft is .5

Billy where do you get your kits cause I would like some .7 kits

Thanks
Wes, I get them from Ryan at Woodturningz. They are PSI and so far no problems reported. I've had a number of these on the street since March.

chazmonro

Chuckie,

THOSE ARE AWESOME! I was just looking at one of those pentel pencils, how do you do it, what size bit and tube do you use? Ever think about putting together a tutorial? I think that would be the best way to go, the zebra pencils are not as nice as the pentel ones.

Chuck

Chuck Key

Originally posted by chazmonro
<br />Chuckie,

THOSE ARE AWESOME! I was just looking at one of those pentel pencils, how do you do it, what size bit and tube do you use? Ever think about putting together a tutorial? I think that would be the best way to go, the zebra pencils are not as nice as the pentel ones.

Chuck

I picked up the step drill that is no longer available form CSU about 4 years ago and made a special mandrel for turning the blank. The bit sizes I used are a little different than what Don has in his tutorial but since the one I have is no longer available Don's description is probably the best way to go.

Chuckie

woodbutcher

I ordered some pencils a while back. They came with .5 lead. The instructions said to throw out the lead that came with the pencil and buy .7 at any store that sold quality lead. I did so and have not had the problems that seems to go with pencil kits. It seems the imported lead that comes in the kit will break and crumble easily. Can't say for sure that will help but you might give it a try.

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom