Lead In Cartridge Pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ribanett

I have a gift shop that is selling my pens. They want to add my cartridge pens to their line, but want me to take the lead out of the FMJ-BT bullets. The process is easy to do, but I think removing the lead will cause problems because the nib support for the refill will be less. Thanks in advance for any comments.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Sylvanite

Several people here melt the lead out of FMJ bullets without reported problems. Personally, I don't bother. Elemental lead is not nearly as hazardous as it is made out to be.

That said, if your customer doesn't want it, you can either handle molten lead, or you can buy solid copper bullets.

Good luck,
Eric

novop711

ribanett, couldn't you turn an accurate facsimile out of some acrylic colored to match the look your going for, or custom cast a part out of polyester resin colored to match.

I know why they don't want the lead, lead is a potential hazard; so they might be trying to save you, and their selves from a potential lawsuit.

Rifleman1776

Disagree with Eric. Lead must be handled with caution.
However, the lead inside the cartridge is INSIDE and completely enclosed. There is no danger from it being there. Any fear of that lead being present is irrational. I would rather lose the sale than mess around as that would be extra work and just plain pointless.

Sylvanite

Disagree with Eric. Lead must be handled with caution.

I never said that lead should be handled without caution. I said the toxicity of elemental lead is overstated.

Elemental (metallic) lead is not easily absorbed by the body. If you ingest any, the vast majority will pass right on through. Lead salts (a class of compounds containing lead), on the other hand, are water soluable and are absorbed through the digestive tract. Lead Acetate (a.k.a. sugar of lead) was once used as a sweetener in food - with disasterous results. Lead paint is particularly dangerous for children because (1) it tastes sweet, and (2) the lead interferes with proper brain development.

As a bullet caster, I've handled a lot of lead - way more than anybody will ever get from a pen. I take simple and reasonable precautions that keep my blood lead-level below average.

Of course, none of that matters when a customer insists on a lead-free pen. Even melting out the lead may not be sufficient, since trace amounts will still be present. If your reseller wants to avoid posting "this product contains chemicals known to the state of California to cause ...", then you may simply have to avoid jacketed bullets.

Regards,
Eric

Top Bottom