Lazy----which letter drill

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Gary Max

I am sure it's around here somewhere ---I know it's on a chart some place.

What size Letter drill fits a slimline tube. I want it as tight as possible even if I have to press it in?????

Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hewunch

Letter J is basically a 7 mil. Letter D barely fits over the transmission of a slim (like if you were to make a centerband). I would think H or I would be the tightest you could go on it.

johnnycnc

Gary, my measured slimline tube o.d. is .268,
"H" is .266 and "I" is .272
Actual hole size depends on your drilling conditions, such as runout and heat,
and material being drilled. My holes seem to shrink a bit from actual size
in most woods, but not metals.
I'm not sure you could press the slimline tube in without risk of crushing or bending.. just a thought there.
If it was me, I'd go the "I" drill, I have used an "I" reamer and the
hole size was spot on .272; there is really no real room for glue, just a nice slip fit.

Hope that helps.:biggrin:

johnnycnc

You're welcome Gary.
I might try to get down that way again, and make a get-together.. I need to visit
our family sometime this year down that way also.

JerrySambrook

Gary,
I have used 6.7 and 6.8 mm in the past, and had problems due to starved glue lines.
Also, if you just using the tube to hold parts into some other medium that wood, why not drill to fit directly instead. Have done that as well.
I did an aluminum pen in longwood style, there I used the 6.8 to tight slipfit the tubes, because you need them in order for it to function, because aluminum did not have enough holding power to keep the tranny from slipping when extending and retracting. However, it you are using steel, there is enough holding power to grasp the tranny. You will still need to open the bottom area to 6.8mm to house the brass tubes that are needed to function with this kit

Jerry

Top Bottom