Lazer Kits???

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Ok I got my order from Ernie today. I swear I do not know how he gets orders out so fast. That is some service.

Anyway in it is a lazer kit I bought which is the one I showed a photo of in another post. It is the turners themed sierra.

First impressions because I have never done one before and this will be a learning experience, I was amazed at the tiny and I mean tiny pieces. I am going to need a magnifier for my eyes and tweesers for my fingers. My hands are too big to work this thing:eek:

I comes with basic instructions but I figured I would throw a few questions out there to the experts.

I assume you put the tube in first but do not glue it. You then set all the pieces in place and then flood the thing with thin CA. Is this the procedure??? Another question is wouldn't the CA get on the tube now and the barrel is glued to the CA in only those small spots?? How do I get glue on the entire tube?? I am not a fan of using CA to hold my tube in though.

Maybe I should just ask what is your procedure to do a lazer kit??? Thanks

Did I mention these parts are tiny????:eek:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Pioneerpens

After you have the pieces on the tube~ tape around the barrel, holding the pieces in place. remove the tube and glue with thin ca inside the barrel..when it's dry, fit to make sure tube goes in ok, sand inside if needed....then glue tube in as usual

Padre

Ok I got my order from Ernie today. I swear I do not know how he gets orders out so fast. That is some service.

Anyway in it is a lazer kit I bought which is the one I showed a photo of in another post. It is the turners themed sierra.

First impressions because I have never done one before and this will be a learning experience, I was amazed at the tiny and I mean tiny pieces. I am going to need a magnifier for my eyes and tweesers for my fingers. My hands are too big to work this thing:eek:

I comes with basic instructions but I figured I would throw a few questions out there to the experts.

I assume you put the tube in first but do not glue it. You then set all the pieces in place and then flood the thing with thin CA. Is this the procedure??? Another question is wouldn't the CA get on the tube now and the barrel is glued to the CA in only those small spots?? How do I get glue on the entire tube?? I am not a fan of using CA to hold my tube in though.

Maybe I should just ask what is your procedure to do a lazer kit??? Thanks

Did I mention these parts are tiny????:eek:

You are too funny John. Ok, now that I've cleared the tears out of my eyes:

I take the pieces out of the original blank(s), leaving a blank with lots of little holes in it. I put this blank on the tube, using NO glue.

I then carefully and usually using a magnifying light (those round ones with the light built in) put the pieces in, then slather that area with thin CA. I proceed on this way until all pieces are in place. When all pieces are in place, I go over all the outline areas where I put the pieces in with thin CA. I then wait about 1/2 hour, and I put thin CA in those areas again. Somehow, and I don't know how, (osmosis??) the CA seeps in between the original blank and the tube and it holds it in there quite well.

I also have on standby: a razor knife, a pair of tweezers, some paper towels, some nitrile gloves and some acetone. I have not used accelerator with these laser kits.

Hope this helps a little.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
I wrap the tube with wax paper, assemble on the tube. and glue in the pieces. The tubes can then be removed fairly easily. A little sanding on the inside of the blank removes any wax paper that may have gotten stuck. Then glue in the tube and continue. It'w worked for about 50 of these types of kits.

achennau

I use Titebond to glue the pieces in, so the colors don't bleed together. This way you can pull your tube out and wipe off the glue so your tube isn't glued in and then you can glue the tube in the way you want.

jttheclockman

This particular kit uses acrylic pieces on some parts to give a 3D look. Have to check the clearance to be able to use wax paper.

I think we are justified to charge extra just for the pain to assemble these kits. Of if the customer could only know.

Did I happen to mention these pieces are tiny:eek:

dntrost

Don't know how long I spent looking for the darn stars in the US flag kit. (even though you get like 10 extras) they seem to get wings if you don't fit them in just perfect, or apply too much pressure.....:befuddled:

nava1uni

I would recommend that you do it on aluminum foil with the edges up to form a tray. The little pieces do jump about and this way they tend to stay in the tray.

tbroye

I soak a lot of the parts, like the stars in a little warm soapy water. It make these part slide in to the holes easier. I think is softens them up a little and makes them more flexible. I then wait a while for the parts to dry before gluing. I use Epoxy for the tubes and tint the Epoxy with flat black model paint. Some kits I use Ebony dust to fill the spaces or to creat outlines and then cover with thin CA. I use my belt/disk sander to sand a Ebony blank and catch the dust on white typing paper. I then dump it into a plastic kit bag for use later.

ctubbs

WOW! I have been looking at them and sort of wishing, but now I (big handed me) think that is one kit I'll just have to look at and wish I had smaller hands. After all the problems you all have been having, I'll just have to pass. Thank you for the training.

Charles

jttheclockman

WOW! I have been looking at them and sort of wishing, but now I (big handed me) think that is one kit I'll just have to look at and wish I had smaller hands. After all the problems you all have been having, I'll just have to pass. Thank you for the training.

Charles

No don't let that deter you. I have huge hands also and all I am going to do is use some tweesers to handle the parts. Yes it may take a touch but these kits are just too inviting to not give it a try. I finally found a couple that pushed me over. Will report on my findings when I give it a try. Hopefully this weekend.

Wood Butcher

Local Chapter Leader
I just fiished the Civil War set with the box and all from Kallenshan Woods and it was my first laser kit attempt. A client ordered it for his stepson who is a CW buff. I followed the supplied directions for the American flag but tried a different approach for the Confedeate flag. For the CF I stuck all the parts in using the small rubber bands to hold them then flooded it a couple of times with thin CA, lots of CA. This soaked through and glued the blank to the sanded tube very well. Then I finshed as usual with CA. As for the small parts, my hands aren't that big but my eyes are 70+ years old so I use magnifier assist, the kind that are on a headband and flip up and down. I didn't use my hands much, I use the point of an Exacto knife with a new blade to spear the parts. I am pleased with the finished product and will post pics after the laser engraving is done.
WB

Top Bottom