Lazer engraving PR, acrylics, Trustone....???

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

redfishsc

I have a friend who runs a trophy shop and just added a laser engraver to his machinery collection.

I know he can do wood, but before I blow $4 on a plastic blank, does anyone here know if the standard resin/acrylic blanks we use can be laser engraved?

Does the engraving require further coloring/PR inlay to make the letters stand out?

Thanks,

Matt

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

randyrls

Originally posted by redfishsc

I have a friend who runs a trophy shop and just added a laser engraver to his machinery collection.

I know he can do wood, but before I blow $4 on a plastic blank, does anyone here know if the standard resin/acrylic blanks we use can be laser engraved?

Does the engraving require further coloring/PR inlay to make the letters stand out?

Matt; Yes, PR or acrylic can be easily done. I had a Starlite (HUT) engraved with the Pledge of Allegiance.

By default the engraving is usually black. If you want good contrast, you must color the engraving with Acrylic paints. Use good quality artist paints, not tole paints like FolkArt.

arjudy

The plastics require color fill. Don't know about trustone. Here is one done by Ken Nelson at Kallenshaan Woods.

Image Insert:
2008321234840_Wedding%20Pen%20IAP.jpg

Sylvanite

Acrylic can definitely be engraved with a laser - it is one of the more popular trophy materials. I haven't engraved any truestone yet, but I suspect it would work. Granite is engravable, and so are many resins (just not PVC).

Regards,
Eric

emackrell

Ken Nelson did a great job for me on a lapis trustone -- so it can be done. Hope it's easier to engrave than it is to turn!

cheers Eileen [8D]

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I believe Eileen has put her finger on a point.

IT CAN be engraved by Ken Nelson. MANY of us use Ken, so he has done a LOT on pens. HE has overcome any "learning curve" long ago.

IF your friend doesn't KNOW about acrylic, it would be good for him to experiment by engraving a couple square sticks, before they are turned. Then, you can just turn them and erase it. IF the squares go well, THEN give him turned pens.

Just a thought.

rlharding

And, some of us have used Ken and would like better quality control. Search out your local engravers first. They will be able to tell you exactly what they can work on.

Ruth vacationing in Riverside CA.

Top Bottom