Lava Acrylic Blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

shoelessjj

OK ... I admit, I haven't done a search for this topic. It is highly likely that someone has asked this question or brought up this issue. If so ... forgive me. Point me in that direction and I'll sheepishly head that way. :)

Here it is ... I really like these lava acrylic blanks that I've picked up from Woodcraft and they look a lot like what Bear Tooth Woods has available (I just picked up some of these as well). I have turned four pens out of this style blank and in each case I've had them suddenly tear out on me. I don't know how else to describe it. "Tear out" might be a bit extreme. It is like I get ruts in the blank suddenly. Everything is turning great and then "grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr" and I look and I have ruts.

In a couple of cases, it happened early enough for me to salvage. In a couple of others, it happened right when I was close to the bushing and so I had to employ my forum taught skill of filling in to cope with the issue.

I would like to avoid the issue if possible. Last night it seemed almost like a chatter and I wondered if I got lazy holding the tool and thus caused this to happen.

I will admit that I'm using the Easy Wood rougher and finisher. I moved to new edges on both and I still had it happen. Now ... perhaps I should have moved again.

Perhaps this is an indicator that I need to move away from these tools. Is speed of the lathe a factor. Is this just something that I have to live with as it relates to these types of blanks?

Yes ... I managed to remember to square up the blanks before I started. :biggrin:

Thought? Advice? Others have this?

Thanks in advance
ShoelessJJ

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
OK ... I admit, I haven't done a search for this topic. It is highly likely that someone has asked this question or brought up this issue. If so ... forgive me. Point me in that direction and I'll sheepishly head that way. :)

I have not seen this question, asked this way before, so you're "good" so far:biggrin::biggrin:

Here it is ... I really like these lava acrylic blanks that I've picked up from Woodcraft and they look a lot like what Bear Tooth Woods has available (I just picked up some of these as well). I have turned four pens out of this style blank and in each case I've had them suddenly tear out on me. I don't know how else to describe it. "Tear out" might be a bit extreme. It is like I get ruts in the blank suddenly. Everything is turning great and then "grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr" and I look and I have ruts.

In a couple of cases, it happened early enough for me to salvage. In a couple of others, it happened right when I was close to the bushing and so I had to employ my forum taught skill of filling in to cope with the issue.

I would like to avoid the issue if possible. Last night it seemed almost like a chatter and I wondered if I got lazy holding the tool and thus caused this to happen.

Sorry, but yes, this is highly likely! BTDT!!

I will admit that I'm using the Easy Wood rougher and finisher. I moved to new edges on both and I still had it happen. Now ... perhaps I should have moved again.

OR raised your tool rest a little?

Perhaps this is an indicator that I need to move away from these tools. Is speed of the lathe a factor. Is this just something that I have to live with as it relates to these types of blanks?
YES, the speed of the lathe is a factor---the faster the better!
NO, you need to develop better technique, which won't happen if you are willing to "give up"!!
!

Yes ... I managed to remember to square up the blanks before I started. :biggrin:

Thought? Advice? Others have this?

Thanks in advance
ShoelessJJ

See blue for thoughts

Edited--and double entry removed--Ed

Last edited:

Jim Burr

Banned
Ed makes some good points!! Scary sharp skew really helps. It's so tempting to go fast on plastics. On some wood blanks, you can know 'em down to round and finish thickness in 5 passes! Acrylic takes longer but you find this groove where you get a good depth of cut and long ribbons clogging up everything!! Firm pressure and repeat!

shoelessjj

Thanks for the input. I have taken it all to heart. This weekend I added one of these acrylic blanks to the mix. I gave myself a fresh edge on the rougher and the finisher. I raised my tool rest just a bit. This put my tool at just above mid level of the blank. I concentrated on form and made sure I didn't get lazy with my form as I went along. As I chewed away a bulk of the bottom barrel, I moved my tool rest closer. Doing all these things, I didn't NOT have a issue turning the bottom.

I moved on to the top and practiced the same efforts. I have this portion almost turned completely but it was getting late and I wanted to make sure that I didn't get in a hurry and wasn't tired at the most critical point of turning the upper.

So far ... so good. What made me wonder if I wasn't part of the cause for this was that I noticed on the last time it did this ... I was at the end of the blank that was furthest away from me and I wasn't staying on top of things. I felt myself kind of relax and then it happened.

One other thing I was making sure of was that I kept the back of the tool up to what felt more like parallel. I may have been letting the back drop a bit and the further away from my body I got the more that may have been happening.

Thanks so much for the help and advice. Thanks for allowing me to reach out and seek guidance on this. Now I just need to apply the same efforts when I return home tonight to finish things off.

- ShoelessJJ

farisdayoff

I find with these blanks that the round cutter is terrible. It feels like it gets "sucked in" to the blank and is too agressive. Stick with a really sharp skew or the square carbide and fast speeds and you'll see a difference.

jjjaworski

I've turned a good number of these type of blanks and know what you mean.

If I rough out with a gouge, it can grab in some spots where the material composition varies.

Once I break the corners I go straight to a sharp skew laid flat on the tool rest and scrap to finish size. It works for me and I can control the shape and size very easily.

Touch up the skew with a diamond hone for final passes to get a better finish and easy cutting.

Top Bottom