lathes (and bandsaws)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

mikes pens

Just curious as to what kind of lathes (and bandsaws) people out there had. Size... Also, do you like them and would you purchase the same one again?

Mike

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
I have a Jet Mini 1014VS lathe. While I'd love to have the room for a larger lathe I am quite happy with it. The variable speed (although there is still belt changing) is quite handy.

wayneis

I run a Jet Mini lathe and a 14" Ridgid bandsaw. As far as the lathe goes the only thing different that I would do is get the variable speed if I were to do it again. The bandsaw, you bet I'd buy it again without thinking twice about it. It's been a very good saw that has not givin me a bit of trouble. I also own a Ridgid thickness planner and I'm also very happy with that. I've run several thousand board feet of lumber of all types through it and I would recommend it in a heartbeat.

Wayne

mikes pens

Thanks so far guys. I am glad to hear about the Ridgid bandsaw as that is the one I was looking at purchasing in the next few weeks. Wayne, how long have you owned the Ridgid bandsaw?

Mike

cigarman

I agree with Wayne about the Jet mini lathe and the Ridgid thickness planner. I have a 9" Craftsman band saw and although it is nice the next one will be a Ridgid 14". I also have a Delta drill press with a three and a half inch drop that I am very happy with.

Scottydont

Jet Mini VS and a Ridgid Bandsaw. This is my second Jet miini I guess I like them. As for the Ridgid BS, it is fine but I would opt. for a Grizzly if I had the same amount of money to spend over again.

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Hey Mike,

I have the Carbatec 4 lathe, and am reasonably happy, particularly with the variable speed. (I don't think I could now go to a fixed speed lathe) I cannot compare it to any other lathe as it is the only lathe I have ever used. My band saw is the Delta 9 inch. Rich K warned me that it was a minimal saw, and he was right. It does my pen blanks, but not much else. I am not sure what my next band saw will be, but it WILL be a rugged one.

M

Mudder

Which would you like to hear about?

My lathes (4 total)

Jet 1014
Jet 1014 VS
Delta 1440 Ironbed
Nova DVR 3000

Bandsaw

14" Ridgid with Riser and timberwolf blades.

Had I to do it over again I would buy the ridgid bandsaw and I would have skipped the Jet 1014 and the Delta and bought just the Jet VS and the Nova. All are first class lathes I just bought two that I could have done without. I have buyers lined up for my two "spares" so I'm not going to lose too much, and I will be introducing turning to two more people.

dougle40

Mike,
I use a full sized lathe with a home made adaptor which allows me to be able to use 1/2 of the bed when I'm turning pens and small things and I can add the rest of the bed on to turn up to 37" between centers . I also have a 9" band saw but if I were to do it all over again I would opt for a larger one .

Bob A

I have a Delta 1440 and a Delta midi. Bought the Delta midi just for turning pens but still end up on the 1440 most of the time. 18" General band saw.

Bob

WoodChucker

I have the Jet Mini lathe and a Jet 18" band saw. Also have a Delta 14" lathe that doesn't get used much now that I'm turning pens on the mini. [:)]

R.T.

mikes pens

Wow, this is great info so far. Scott, I am curious as to why you would choose the Grizzly bandsaw? Actually, I can't find it here in Canada. I do know that it is recommended in some magazines for features and price.

Mike

goldentouch

Hello Mike I have a Powermatic 3520 lathe and a 14 inch Powermatic bandsaw with a 6 inch riser. Both are excellent for what I do most which is bowls and hollow vessels. I just started turning pens a couple weeks ago and love it. I haven't touch a bowl since. almost instant gradification. Love them. If I was to buy a smaller lathe in the future I would either get the Jet Mini with VS or the 10 inch Oneway.

bud duffy

I have a Jet 1236 lathe if i had it to do over i would spend a little more and get the electronic variable speed , however for the money it is a real good machine ( i picked it up at the local tool store for $300 on a after christmas sale.) My bandsaw is a Ridgid 14" with a Jet riser block kit because when i called Ridgid to get the riser kit they said it was not offered at the moment as it was being redesigned because of a safty issue so i checked around and it turns out that all the 14" bandsaws like that use the same riser block ( delta, jet , ridgid , grizzly, powermatic). I got the bandsaw at home depot on sale last year for $199. Still need to get a fence for it , for now i made a fence by gluing up two pieces of Corian in an L and clamp that to the table for a fence which works but a real fence would be a little esier to set up and adjust, so now that the after christmas sales are going to start i will keep an eye out for one. I am real happy with the saw . As for blades i have tried Timberwolf , BC Saw and Lennox the timberwolf i wasnt real impressed with they didnt last very long or cut very straight for me , maybe its me everyone else i read on various forums seem to have good luck with them . I have had a Lennox blade on my saw for 8 months now and it still is good and sharp & cuts straight i might try a couple of other brands this year but so far its Lennox for me. So in conclusion yes i would buy both again! P.S. If you could find an outlet there in canada for grizzly the G0555 14" bandsaw would be a better value as it comes with the fence And i think thier riser kit is the same price as the Jet . My 2cents for what it is worth. Bud

fhinde

I have a Shopsmith 500 and a Yuba band saw powered by the Shopsmith. Some day I will get a bigger bandsaw but the one I have works great for pens and small items.

G

Jet Mini (Pulley adjust speed)
For turning pens I don't think electronic variable speed is worth another $100.00. I've had it for over 6 maonths and just this week had enough nerve to set it at the highest speed.
Biggest consideration was shop size so I needed a smaller lathe.
I like the idea I can add an extension for around $50.00 if I want to do spindle work.
SHould I chose to go variable speed for pen making I would look at the Grizzlies.
I know one wood worker who has one and is happy with it.
I bought a (hardly) used Closed stand JET 14" bandsaw and added the riser block.I would buy that saw again in a heart beat but you don't want to know how little I paid for a hardly used saw.:>)

Tom McMillan

Well, when I moved a couple years ago, I had to downsize to a tiny shop. I gave my large tools to my son---hopefully, he'll get them set up soon so I can use them if I need to. So, at the moment I have the small Grizzly lathe---it's been a fairly reliable tool---but, it doesn't have a through headstock or tailstock---and in the future I'd be sure it had those. Also, I'd probably go to either a Jet or maybe a Fisch---not sure about the Fisch as I've enjoyed the variable speed on the Grizzly. I just have a small Delta tabletop bandsaw. It does a good job for me---but, can't cut much thicker than 3 1/2 inches---but, it will cut that thick if I need to.

William Young

I have a 14" Ridgid Bandsaw . I've done a ton of re-sawing red oak with it for making 1/4 " panels for hundreds of fretwork clocks and many other woods for bandsaw boxes. . I use Tufftooth blades . It is over 5 years old and still working like new.
I have a Jet mini lathe with the step pullys and belt drive system same as on my industrial scrollsaw. I personally would never buy another variable speed because of troubles I have seen with other makes of major power tools that are VS but I suppose those problems could be proportionate to the amount of use the tool gets and mine get used a lot. I dont mind the few seconds it takes to change speeds and I know that I am getting full power from my motor whereas some VS designs rob a certain amount of power by the way they are designed and cost mega bucks to repair when they quit.. .. not to mention the down time.
I have had to change the bearings in my lathe already but that was no fault of Jet's manufacturing . It was operator error on my part but I did find out that those bearings only cost $12.00 total for both the inner and outer ones (both different size) and I was able to replace them myself. I love tools that are user freindly and self serviceable like that.
W.Y.

its_virgil

Lathes: Powermatic Model 90 and Jet minni VS
Bandsaw: 14" HF with riser block and FastTrack fence.. Love them all, especially the bandsaw. Quite a bargin at $219 + riser block and fence.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Scottydont

Originally posted by mikes pens
<br />Wow, this is great info so far. Scott, I am curious as to why you would choose the Grizzly bandsaw? Actually, I can't find it here in Canada. I do know that it is recommended in some magazines for features and price.

Mike

The Grizzly comes with some nice upgrades that the Ridgid does not. Like a fence $70 and roller guides instead of blocks $13-$125. If you ever want to expand the cutting capacity of the saw Grizzly carries riser block kits where the Ridgid is almost non existent now and very expensive is you can find one. I originally did not think I would do any resawing on mine until I started falling in love with wood to turn! Don't get me wrong, I love my Ridgid but the Griz gets the vote for best value for any 14" bandsaw you will find based on responses on other forums that I play on.

What part of Canada are you in? Grizzly has a wharehouse in Bellingham WA about 30-45 minutes over the border from Vancouver?

tomwojeck

I have a jet mini and a grizzly 14" bandsaw. They've both treated me well, especially the bandsaw which I've used to cut the profile for the legs for a queen ann table, and it performed flawlessly.

Travlr7

I have the Jet Mini, too and the Grizzley g0550 14" bandsaw with a riser kit. I'm very happy with both.

I saved the freight on the grizzley by picking it up in Springfield, Mo. on my way through to New Mexico last year.

Bruce[;)]

wayneis

I've had the bandsaw for about five years not and it's still running like new, and I've used it a lot. Personally I don't care if the manufacturer offers a fence or not because most of the time I end up replacing it any way. I've got the fast track on my band saw for now but I've got Incra on all of my other tools.
Wayne

mikes pens

Just looked at the Grizzly site on the internet and they don't have any distribution places in Ottawa (let alone Canada). It looks like I will go with the Rigid 14 inch bandsaw at this point. They have a sale up here until the end of January.

Mike

Tom McMillan

At one time someone had posted on a forum (not sure if it was here) that they heard Grizzly may have a noncompete agreement with a Canadian company who they thought was headed up by the brother of the owner of Grizzly----not sure what that company is or if they might have a similar piece of equipment in Canada. Anyone know more about this??

Brent

Mike, I have a carba-tec lathe and a 9in craftsman bansaw,Iwould not recomend the craftsman ban saw it is made to light and almost impossible to get a acurate cut form it

Rifleman1776

I have the Grizzly G0555 14" bandsaw and could sing it's praises all day. I believe it to be the best bandsaw value on the market.
My lathe is also a Grizzly, it's a G1067, full size 14"X40". I had never used a lathe before buying this and it seemed to have the most features for the price, making it a good comparison value. While I find it satisfactory, if budget permited, I would probably shop for something more sophisticated. It has limitations but for the price I can't complain.
One simply will not end up with a $3000.00 machine if the budget only allows spending $400.00.

Originally posted by mikes pens
<br />Just curious as to what kind of lathes (and bandsaws) people out there had. Size... Also, do you like them and would you purchase the same one again?

Mike

C_Ludwigsen

As of a couple weeks ago, I have added a Vicmarc VL100 to my shop to go along with the Jet 1236. Man does that Vic hum. To keep the Jet from feeling lonely, I chucked up a piece of Boxelder to make a hollowform. The Vic will get broken in today making pens.

Bandsaw for me is still the Shopsmith. My goal this year is to get a dedicated drill press, then bandsaw, then sell the Shopsmith.

Chuck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom