Lathe will not turn on

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JF36

Today my grizzly G0657 would not turn on after I shut it off. I have tried flipping the reset switch, plugging it into another outlet, removing and reinserting the safety switch, and letting it sit for an hour. Does anyone have any idea why this would happen, or is it time to get a new lathe?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

frankhp

Not sure if this will help but my delta planer did something like this. In my case it was a switch. Put a toggle on it and it worked.
Does your switch feel like it did when it was starting? Hopefully its just a switch.

ctubbs

Do you have any indication of power being applied to the lathe? Speed indicator display lights up, or otherwise? You may have one of 7 different problems according to the manual at Grizzly from faulty plug, wiring, safety key, power supply, wiring, motor or motor brushes. I would start at the plug and verify power each step of the way to the lathe. Unless you are familiar with the drive on the lathe, I would not recommend opening it to test further. Grizzly has always been good helping solve my problems with their equipment. Best of luck getting it back up and running.
Charles

hilltopper46

I have the 12x20 version of this lathe. My switch accumulated dust until the contacts couldn't close.

The switch can be dissassembled and cleaned if you are careful. It can be snapped apart with a small flat bladed screwdriver. There are spring loaded parts inside it so be careful where you take it apart at. Otherwise the switch can be replaced.

Until you can clean / replace it, flipping the switch off and on repeatedly will let it make contact occasionally.

JF36

Not sure if this will help but my delta planer did something like this. In my case it was a switch. Put a toggle on it and it worked.
Does your switch feel like it did when it was starting? Hopefully its just a switch.

I did not feel any difference in the switch when it was working and when it was not.
After you turn it on, will it run if you rotate the spindle by hand? If so, than the start capacitor went out.
when I rotate the spindle nothing happens.

Do you have any indication of power being applied to the lathe? Speed indicator display lights up, or otherwise? You may have one of 7 different problems according to the manual at Grizzly from faulty plug, wiring, safety key, power supply, wiring, motor or motor brushes. I would start at the plug and verify power each step of the way to the lathe. Unless you are familiar with the drive on the lathe, I would not recommend opening it to test further. Grizzly has always been good helping solve my problems with their equipment. Best of luck getting it back up and running.
Charles

The green light that indicates that power is flowing to the lathe is on

I have the 12x20 version of this lathe. My switch accumulated dust until the contacts couldn't close.

The switch can be dissassembled and cleaned if you are careful. It can be snapped apart with a small flat bladed screwdriver. There are spring loaded parts inside it so be careful where you take it apart at. Otherwise the switch can be replaced.

Until you can clean / replace it, flipping the switch off and on repeatedly will let it make contact occasionally.

I will have to look at that but the switch feels like it closes all the way

joefyffe

Passed Away Aug 19, 2018
In Memoriam
Gentlemen!!!,Gentlemen!!! Do none of you recognize when a man is trying to come up with an excuse, for wifey, to buy a NEW Lathe. Then when that one starts working again, he can use it for a "finishing lathe" You know, C/A application!!:rolleyes::rolleyes::smile-big::smile-big::smile-big:

Last edited:

JF36

Gentlemen!!!,Gentlemen!!! Do none of you recognize when a man is trying to come up with an excuse, for wifey, to buy a NEW Lathe. Then when that one starts working again, he can use it for a "finishing lathe" You know, C/A application!!:rolleyes::rolleyes::smile-big::smile-big::smile-big:

No that is not it. The lathe really will not turn on.

The green light on mine comes on when I plug the lathe in. I would check the switch and see if it is working.

I will check the switch. I hope that is the problem.

aplpickr

You have a DC motor. With the lathe totally unplugged, check the motor brushes. Make sure they are a smooth curve against the commutator, the springs are not struck or broken, worn too short(need to be at least ~3/8" long). They are graphite (grey) not BLACK carbon. They should slip easily in and out.
The interface between the brush and commutator can expand enough due to temperature to make contact. Cool it off and the circuit can go open. Motor will refuse to start!

Last edited:

tim self

You have a DC motor. With the lathe totally unplugged, check the motor brushes. Make sure they are a smooth curve against the commutator, the springs are not struck or broken, worn too short(need to be at least ~3/8" long). They are graphite (grey) not BLACK carbon. They should slip easily in and out.
The interface between the brush and commutator can expand enough due to temperature to make contact. Cool it off and the circuit can go open. Motor will refuse to start!

+1 here. My shopfox still messes up at times with the brushes. You may wanna check the output of the switch as well cause mine went out twice with the circuit board.

butchf18a

Rule one: Check circuit breaker. Does anything else on the circuit work?

Replace switch. It may feel like it's working, but they do go bad.

keandkafu

I'm with Frankhp on this one. My Jet 1014 did the same thing. I took the switch apart with a small flat blade screwdriver to unhook the tabs. Make sure it's unplugged! Be careful, there may be springs, mine had flat brass strips. The switch had a little dust inside, which I wiped off. Put it back together and it's worked fine since.

Good luck!

MrWright

Passed Away Oct 12, 2022
In Memoriam
Had a problem like that with my lathe switch. Took my vacum and put it on blower, and blew the dust off the inside of switch. Did the same to my bench saw. Try that before you pull it apart.

okiebugg

Turn on

Maybe kissing it will turn it on! LOL

I had a similar problem on my Jet this summer. Flip switch-no turn reset-no turn switch OK--no turn.

The problem was with the summer heat and turning an excessive large, heavy piece of wood had stretched the belt. The motor was so quiet that I was almost panicked--I didn't know it was on. Dug around for 45 minutes before I discovered it was a slack belt.

I had to replace the switch on mine...about $12.00. Order through Grizzly. Take the switch assebmbly apart and see if contacts are broke, thats what I found to be the solution to the same issue.

Last edited:

JF36

Thanks everyone for all your help it was the switch. I just had to blow the dust out of it with the shop vac.

Justturnin

I have a similar issue w/ me Shopsmith. I just blast it with Air to clean out the dust stopping it from closing and it resolves it. May be worth a try.

Edit:
Just read the rest of the thread. Never Mind:redface:

Rifleman1776

I'm not familiar with that model lathe.
Does it have a TEFC motor? (totaly enclosed fan cooled)
If so, the centrifigal switch might be dirty. This is a very common occurrance.
Just remove the shroud and blow out the accumulated sawdust if you have an air compressor. Otherwise just use a brush and your fingers to clean best possible. Turn by hand. Reassemble, plug back in and try.
Periodic cleaning of these is standard procedure. BTW, don't believe the "totaly enclosed" part, it ain't.

Top Bottom