Lathe type

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JDJ309

I want to buy a new lathe to turn pens on. What would be my best value? If (this is not the case) but if I had an anunlimited budet what would you guys buy. Thanks in advance for your wisdom and advice.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Daniel

With an umlimited budget I would probably get a Nova or Jet lathe. I would still stay in the 12 to 16 by 48 range as to size simply because I don't have the room for larger turnings.

On a budget, good value etc. Harbor freight has a great 12 X 48 lathe that is a knock off of the jet. You need to be careful that you get the right lathe though. A lot of the stuff Harbor Freight has would not even make a good paper weight.

If you have some fairly serious money and want to have flexibility and no desire to make larger projects. i would suggest a small metal lathe. I have the Homier 7X12 myself. but if I had to do it a gain I would go with the next step up in size. the 7X12 works but it is very close to not big enough a lot of the time.

now for the record I have two wood lathes, a third that is dismantled and setting in the corner of my shop as well as the mini metal lathe. I can be working on all of the operational ones at once. When I get my family in the shop all three lathes will actually be running at once. Each lathe is set up with different jaws or mounting methods and in some cases different tail stock hardware depending on it's primary use. I use my metal lathe primarily for drilling blanks for example. while one wood lathe is for turning and the other is for finishing pens. Just an example of what is best has more to do with the turner than the tools.

Rangertrek

Check the library for reviews on several lathes by members of IAP. If you will just turn pens, then a smaller lathe will work for you. If you plan to turn larger stock or bowls, you may want a larger capacity lathe. I am on my second lathe (Delta) and happy with it. Wish I had room in the shop for a larger lathe.

DurocShark

Look for used lathes on Craigslist as well. I saw a Rockwell gap bed with cabinet stand go by for $175 yesterday. I didn't have the $ or I would have snagged it.

ericd

Short list

I am new to turning, but I just researched this very subject. After reading every post I could find on the subject, I narrowed it down to the Delta 46-460, the Jet 1214 and 1220. I bought the Jet 1220, but all 3 of these would be good for penturning.

As others have said, lathes are frequently sold on craigslist, so you could probably find an excellent lathe with tools, chucks, etc. for a great price.

Eric

Lenny

My recommendation would be for the Delta 46-460.

The Jet midi is also worth considering. If you are on a budget the Rikon when it's on sale is also a good choice.

If you have more money than you know what to do with, buy a Nova DVRXP or a Oneway 2436. :biggrin:

Top Bottom