Lathe tools?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

nightowl

I am asking for some new turning tools for Father's Day. Can anyone tell me where I can get a good set for around $150. All I have now is the beginners 3-pack set. I would like to have some longer tools so if I decide to turn a deeper bowl I will be able too. Thanks in advance for the help.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PaulDoug

I would really think about buying individual tools versa a set. There are always things in a set that you will not use. Just my experience.

JoeP

For a reasonable price, I like the Benjamin's Best from PSI. I have a Sorby 1/2" bowl gouge and a Benjamin's Best 5/8" bowl gouge and I find no noticeable difference between them (other than size;)). Plus, I don't feel so bad about grinding down a $22 tool versus a $75 tool.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I agree Benjamin's Best are GOOD. A little lighter than some others, so they don't dampen vibration as well, but GREAT for the PRICE!!

May want to get a heavier roughing gouge and if you are doing bowls, ask for some advice on bowl gouges. I don't do many, but I find the heft is very helpful in bowl turning so I would probably buy better tools for that purpose.

FWIW!!

heineda

I recently bought a 5 pc. set of Woodcrafts Pinnacle turning tools. I am thrilled with the feel and quality of these tools. I paid 129.99. They have long handles, which helps me to control the tool better. I took them home from the store, and all I have had to do so far was to hone them on my paper wheel with green rouge, and my floppy wheel with diamond rouge, and they are razor sharp again. A good strop would probably do the same thing.

Dan

follow3

Originally posted by ed4copies

I agree Benjamin's Best are GOOD. A little lighter than some others, so they don't dampen vibration as well, but GREAT for the PRICE!!

May want to get a heavier roughing gouge and if you are doing bowls, ask for some advice on bowl gouges. I don't do many, but I find the heft is very helpful in bowl turning so I would probably buy better tools for that purpose.

FWIW!!

Hey Ed...& others,

How well do the Benjamin's Best tools hold an edge?
I have some el cheapo tools that I love to use, they are balanced well and cut great...but I have to sharpen twice per pen usually.
Is that normal, or just cheap, lesser grade HSS?

Thanks,
Steve

Top Bottom