Lathe Speeds

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

kooster

Are there "standard" or "preferred" speeds for drilling wood and acrylic blanks? Also, are there similar standards for sanding either materials?
I know there is no "one" absolute method but I'd appreciate any input on how the majority of experienced turners deal with speeds relative to drilling and sanding wood and acrylic blanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

StephenM

I have my lathe set on its highest speed and just go to town. When I drill, I just go in slowly so as not to burn the wood or the bit and haven't had any problems yet. When doing segments I feed extra slow, and go in and out, so I don't overheat the CA.

As for sanding wood, you really should be sanding with the lathe on with only the roughest grit, say 120 for your final shaping/smoothing. Then turn the lathe off and sand with the grain at 120 again. After that go through your grits progressively with the lathe off always sanding with the grain.

As for acrylics, I just keep it at the same speed and sand through the grits and then micromesh.

Can you tell I don't have a variable speed lathe - just a belt? :biggrin:

thewishman

I drill at about 800, turn about 3500 and sand at 1300. If I sand acrylic at a much faster speed, the material builds up quickly on the sandpaper and Iend up not sanding, but rubbing the sanding dust on the blank.

alphageek

Former Moderator
I drill at around 1800, turn and sand at the top belt of my lathe (3500??). I drill in batches and turn at other times to reduce the number of belt changes. Sanding is very light touch since I start at 320 grit.

Top Bottom