lathe speed

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dhylands

Hi, I'm Dan and very new to pen turning having not turned one yet. My question is what speed should i use for my first slimline pen. I bought a (Jet mini VS) and any other tip whould be very heplful thanks.

Dan in socal[8D]]

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jhs494

Welcome Dan. If you haven't done any turning you may want to go up to the library section at the top of the page and look around at some of the videos that members have made and you can pick up some really great tips. For me it always helps to watch someone do it first then kinda follow their lead.
As far as speed goes, if your blank is square when you start, keep your rpm's slower until it is some what round, then you can turn up the rpm's faster.
If you haven't turned anything at all, put some scrap wood on the spur and use the tailstock center and practice on scrap first.
This is just my opinion, I wouldn't waste any $ on pen kits until you have turned something round.
Good luck Dan and I am sure others will offer advice.

Buzz

Lucky you having a variable speed. My Jet is not and I have been compromising by running it on 1,500 RPM for turning and sanding to save having to change the belt. Went back to top speed this morning (3,310 RPM) and the turning was so much easier, I had forgotten how good it was. The sanding and finishing (CA/BLO) required more care, but I'll be leaving it on the higher speed.

As Joe suggests, start off slower until the blank is round, crank it up to finish turning and then slow it down again to sand and finish.

fafow

Dan,

Welcome! This is a great place to get info, suggestions, and help. There is a ton of info here. Go up to the Library and then click on the Library Index. Wander around there for a while. There are some great videos as well as articles and tutorials. There are many incredibly talented and helpful people here.

Where in Torrance are you? I work at Honda at torrance Blvd and Western, and live in Highland Park, just north of downtown LA. Good choice on the lathe. I have a 12 inch midi Jet. Maybe we can get together.

With regards to lathe speed, I find it easiest to do my turning on the highest speed and tehn go down to the slowest for sanding. I don't get real aggressive with my roughing cuts so it gets round a lot faster at the higher speed. I also find that teh wood cuts easier for me at the higher speed. I currently use a Hunter #4 for my roughing. My wife bought me that for Christmas and I really love it a lot.

My wife is also a woodworker and we have a pretty decent woodshop. You're more than welcome to come up and use what we have.

Craig

gerryr

I believe my 6-speed Jet mini has a top speed of 3650, or thereabouts, and that's the speed I use for turning pens. The smaller the diameter of the material being turned, the faster you should run it.

Top Bottom