Lathe Speed?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

RonSchmitt

Hi All,
Well, I finally upgraded from the Jet pen lathe :D:D(after 2 years) and got a Delta midi. Question is, what speed do I turn pens at???? The jet only had 2 speeds to pick from, too darn slow, and just a little faster.
Any input appreciated.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

cdcarter

I find I get the best results at a very high speed for turning and sanding. I go down to something in the middle range for applying the finish, but back up for polishing.

IPD_Mrs

Sanding at high speeds will cause the blank to heat up. If you are working with woods that are prone to crack, such as Amboyna, then you are increasing by several fold the chances that blank will crack somewhere down the line.

On our Jet VS we will turn at a high speed (third set of pulleys and dial to 5) When we sand with paper it is the slowest speed. (first set of pulleys dial at 1) Same for applying CA, slowest speed. Sanding with MM, I tend to up the dial to 3-4. When applying Novus and Ren. Wax the dial will be on a 5.

If you can feel the sand paper or the MM get warm or hot while sanding you are sanding at too high of speed or staying in one spot too long. When you heat up wood it expands, as it cools it contracts. (physics 101) It will aslo draw in moisture when warm or hot. So as it cools and drys what do you think will happen to the wood? Go to Russ Fairfields web site and read what he says about sanding, heck read everything. Once done if you don't come out of it a little smarter or at least with some new ideas, then you did not absorbe anything! I say a little thanks to Russ everytime I pull a blank off my lathe.

Mike & Linda

Chuck Key

You can get 6600 RPM out of that Delta Midi simply by adding the PSI VS Conversion package. Setting the speed at 6600 is not recommended but is available.

Chuckie

redfishsc

Turning: Warp 10, with sharp, sharp chisels. I can start sanding at 320 with most woods other than the realllllly hard, resin-caked jokers like blackwood and lignum.

Sanding: Depending on the wood, most get sanded around 1,000 RPM

Fred

I turn most woods at higher speeds (2000 - 3200 rpm) after rounding the blank at much slower speeds. My tool of choice is my scary sharp 1" oval skew to turn, and my gouge to round the blank.

Sanding is always at 300 - 400 rpm.

Finishing speed depends on the material being applied, friction polish requires a little heat so I go till it feels warm, CA I go really slow to avoid the sling effect. [:D]

Ligget

I turn pens on my DVR approx 3200rpm, sanding at around 1000rpm and sometimes us the reverse option to finish sanding, makes quite a difference.

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by Fred_erick
<br />I turn most woods at higher speeds (2000 - 3200 rpm) after rounding the blank at much slower speeds. My tool of choice is my scary sharp 1" oval skew to turn, and my gouge to round the blank.

Sanding is always at 300 - 400 rpm.

Finishing speed depends on the material being applied, friction polish requires a little heat so I go till it feels warm, CA I go really slow to avoid the sling effect. [:D]

Fred, a professional turner once showed me how higher speeds actually lead to fewer catches and blow-outs. At high speed, you are, in effect turning a round object already. I go about 3000 rpm for pen blanks.

I use a Nova 3000 with a variable speed.
I turn at highest speed (3600), sand at about 1500, sand vertically at a crawl, burnish with brown paper, apply EEE, and friction polish at highest speed.

Larry Gottlieb
http://webpages.charter.net/lgottlieb2/

R2

Mark Ligget is correct But a lower sanding speed may be better in some instances. CA finish I put on by hand turning the wheel for the first coat.
Buffing and polishing at high speed, especially Shellawa
The reason for not sanding at really high speeds is that you heat up the blank with the friction and this can cause stress cracks. [:)][:)]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom