Lathe Speed

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Boomalia

I have a Delta midi lathe and turn at 2650 rpm, I set the RPM at this speed and never changed it but it can go to 3700 RPM. What is the average speed for turning a pen?
Thanks
Gary

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

alamocdc

Gary, I keep my Delta midi at 1250. I tried all the other speeds a few weeks ago and I didn't like the feel. 1250 suits my needs and I don't have to change it for finishing synthetics.

53Jim

This past weekend I got a very large case of the LAZY'S and didn't change the speed from 3,000 and started to turn a pen with a skew. What a difference. I am going to use higher speeds for turning from now on.

HTH

Jim

Jerryconn

I too use a Delta midi and I turn at either 1250 or 1800 rpm, apply CA at 500 rpm, and sand at the highest setting, I think 3750 rpm.

Rudy Vey

I don't think it is of that much importance, use the speed you are most comfy with! As you have seen here, you get the whole spectrum of speeds. I personally turn and sand at high speed (I don't even know the rpm's of my lathe, but I used the high-speed setting of the belt), for application of either Enduro or CA I turn the speed down to 200-300 rpm's or so. A big advantage is a variable speed lathe, though - no need to change belt settings!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom