Lathe Setup Question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

bonsaibill

If you are standing beside your lathe with a blank in place ready to turn---how high is the blank from the ground. Where on your body does it line up with. I am getting strains in my back and wonder if my lathe is too high.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tipusnr

Many of the beginning turning books address this subject though admit variance with body style. Generally the centerline of the turning should be at elbow length when you are standing with your feet shoulder width apart and your knees are flexed.

Height might be the problem but most of what I have seen and heard says that back strain is caused by standing too rigid and not using your legs to shift your weight while turning.

I've only been turning about three years but have paid a lot of attention to this as I have a bad back and need to protect it. I also stand on a shock absorbent pad while turning at home.

airrat

I agree with Bill, also get a mat for the floor and good shoes. That helped me some, also make sure you have good lighting. I realized I was bending over more when turning at night then daytime.

KKingery

My lathe is a bit "high", but it feels right when I work on it, and it's comfortable. You may just have to experiment a bit until you find the right height for you.

terrymiller

Does anyone sit down while they turn. I thought someone a while back was talking about sitting down. I've never tried, sounds too difficult to me.

wpenm

I sit down some and I stand some. I have had back surgery and I can not stand or sit for long periods. The chair I bought is used for drafting and can be adjusted in hight. It's very comfortable and works great for me.

jssmith3

I turn while I am sitting on a stool since I have had reconstructive surgery on my foot and was unable to bear weight on it for 2 month. I get less fatigued and my back hurts less now that I sit while turning. Everyone else I know stands so I guess its what ever works for each individual. I have more foot surgery March 16th so I will still not be able to stand for another month or two. Being able to still turn has kept me sane ( I think [:p]

Funstarz

I sit and stand but spend more time setting. I have a bad back and knees. I did some work on a friends lathe and started having back pain after about 10 min. It was because he had it mounted it to far back on the table.
My distance from the floor has my hands just slightly higher than my elbow. But my lathe is mounted on a work bench and tilted towards me almost 15 deg. The tilt I use brings the work closer to the edge of the work bench.
Your best bet is to experiment and see what works the best if you don't like what you changed you can always put it back. [:)]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom