Lathe question ?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

joeinwv

I know this is like asking what is better Ford or Chevy but I believe I'm more confused now than I ever was about buying a lathe :confused:??? I think I've narrowed it down to maybe three, Jet, Grizzley, Craftsman? I'm sure this question has been asked here a thousand times but bear with me. My focus now is pen turning, but I'm sure down the road there will be some other things to look at. Thank you for any comments and light you might shed on my :confused:.
Joe :usflag:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Billman

Snowmass Village & Grand Junction, Colorado
If it is just a straight up choice between the three, I'd go with the Jet. But I am sure there are other factors that only you can take into consideration, like cost, size, dealer location just to name a few.

Last edited:

snowman56

Joe
If you are looking a bigger lathe's you might want to check out the nova line up.The nova dvr xp is great. If pen truning will be your main truning's go with the jet mini. very dependable.

Whaler

I have the Jet 1220 and don't think you can find a better bench top lathe. Do yourself a favor and get a variable speed model, mine is non VS but I have a VS model on order.

Pocono Bill

Lathe

Of the three I only have experience with the Jet, but I would have no reservation about recommending it. By all means try to get the variable speed model. I grew to hating belt changing so much I bought a Oneway just to avoid it. Good luck with your choice.

LEAP

If you a looking at the non variable speed benchtop take a look at the Rikon as well. There are lots of great lathes out there it all depends on your budget and what you want to do with it.

I know this is like asking what is better Ford or Chevy but I believe I'm more confused now than I ever was about buying a lathe :confused:??? I think I've narrowed it down to maybe three, Jet, Grizzley, Craftsman? I'm sure this question has been asked here a thousand times but bear with me. My focus now is pen turning, but I'm sure down the road there will be some other things to look at. Thank you for any comments and light you might shed on my :confused:.
Joe :usflag:

It really depends on your budget which model you should buy.

Since you are talking about brands, stay away from Scrapsman and Grizzly.

Some folks love to argue that Grizzly is made in the same factory as Jet, and they would be right. It's just that Jet insists on better specs on things such as motors and bearings. You get what you pay for.

Sabaharr

I have the JET 1220 VS and am delighted with it. I shopped the Crapsman before buying and all reviews I read said to avoid it like the plague. As for the Grisley I have their table and band saws, but so much good is said about the JET I had to go with it. As stated in above posts you should spend a little more and get the Variable Speed model. I set the belt on mine in the middle setting and havent touched it since. I just adjust speed with the dial. Fastest to turn, and slowest to finish and sand. The time savings and frustration is worth a few bucks. To answer a question my wife just asked me, NO, you will never stop adding new gadgets. Some will be lifesavers, some will be relegated to the junk or disposed of by other means. The best thing to do with machinery is get the best you can, because upgrading is somehow always put off till later and the frustration with second rate equipment will usually get you to quit and it will just gather dust when you would be enjoying yourself otherwise.
Stephen

Don_Hart

I too would recommend the JET I have a 1642EVS and just love it. Definitely get the variable speed model after I got one I could not figure out how I had ever got by without it.

Top Bottom