Lathe question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bitshird

I am preparing to bite the bullet and buy a wood lathe, considering the abuse my Jet 920bn has taken over the years I was considering a JML-1014I but since I'm not sure I'll like a woodlathe! as an alternative I was looking at a Grizzly G9247 it offers 10 in x 12 in between centers and a 1/4 HP has any one had any experience with the Grizzly wood lathes
Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rifleman1776

I had a G1067Z and used it daily for more than six years. It gave excellent service and was an outstanding value for the price. Recently I upgraded to the VS G0642 and expect a similar experience. I was in the Springfield, MO Grizzly store last week and looked at their line of lathes. The one you mention (G9247) looks to be very sturdy and well made for one that size and in that price range. I believe it would serve you well. They have two smaller, less expensive models that do not impress me with the same level of quality. In the unlikely event you need service, few companies stand behind their products better than Grizzly. Keep your receipt and understand that after one year, you are on your own. As for liking woodturning, you should be warned....it is addictive. You will like.

Russianwolf

I bought a Grizzly recently. The motor died within hours of turning it on. A new headstock was sent out promptly with them picking up all the sipping charges.

Since the new headstock came in, I love the lathe. It's the VS G0462 also. I love the ability to change speeds at a moments notice. According to the Tach on mine it does 3000rpm as opposed to the advertised 2400rpm.

bitshird

R2, I had a chance yesterday to buy a 15 X 38 VS craftsman that was made by Palmgren,for 150.00 it did need some work, but was a bit bigger than I needed, if I need to turn any baseball bats or porch columns, I have several non wood lathes to work with, I figure that if I get the grizzly and like turning wood and acrylic with scary sharp long unwieldy things that could hurt a poor young guy like me; I could sell it on <s>eBoob</s> eBay for nearly what I paid for it and then buy a bigger wood lathe, I’ll also have to convince SWMBO I need to add on to my shop [B)] [8] [:eek:)]

Top Bottom