Lathe- Question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

isaacrapelje

I have a really cheap 100 dollar lathe right now and the tail stock doesn't really match up and it is made from sheet metal. I finally got enough money to buy a lathe. I would be interested in what you guys think would be a good lathe for around 1000 bucks. I am intested in turning bowls and vases along with pens so I think I want a mid size lathe not a mini. I had my eye on the nova 3000 but now I can't find one anywhere. All I can find is the nova 3000 dvr which is out of my price range. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mrcook4570

I have a Jet 1442 and find it to be a very good machine. Very sturdy legs, plenty of power, indexing spindle, variable speed, rotating headstock to turn larger pieces.

I have been seriously condering the purchase of another lathe and I really like the specs of the Grizzly G0462. It appears to be a clone of the Jet 1642 but only 1/4 the price.

whatwoodido

I don't think there is a really great lathe out there for $1,000. I think the jet VS mini is the best lathe bargain available for under $1,000. But if you want a small step up there is always the Vicmarc VL100:
http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/cgi-bin/shopper?preadd=action&key=191-6500

The Vicmarc is a very nice small lathe (I have used one a couple of times), but given the price I am not all that sure that it is worth twice the price of the Jet VS Mini.

I would try to hold off until you can afford one of the Jet 1642 models preferably with the 2 horse motor (1.5 hp $1700, 2 hp $2000). I have used both of these and they are very nice lathes, very quiet, very powerful, and well built.

I think you will find something with electronic variable speed to be much superior to those with mechanical variable speed (such as the Grizzlies, the 1442 Jet, or the Delta Ironbed). The mechanical variable speed are extremely noisy compared to the electronic variable speed. I have the Delta Ironbed Mechanical Variable speed and it work fine but is extremely noisy compared to my Jet VS Mini. And while this seems trivial, it is really nice to be able to listen to the stereo while turning, or to be able to mentor people without having to turn off the lathe to be heard.

Drew

whatwoodido

Originally posted by mrcook4570
<br />I have a Jet 1442 and find it to be a very good machine. Very sturdy legs, plenty of power, indexing spindle, variable speed, rotating headstock to turn larger pieces.

I have been seriously condering the purchase of another lathe and I really like the specs of the Grizzly G0462. It appears to be a clone of the Jet 1642 but only 1/4 the price.

This Grizzly looks like a clone but it is mechanical variable speed, which is a significant difference, and makes up for much of the cost difference. It is also 2 hp 110 volt, which means you will need to upgrade the circuit to higher amperage to keep it from popping the circuit breaker.

Drew

turff49

Well,
Don't leave out a used Oneway 1018. I can't turn over 10" diameter but it has everything the big boy does. Indexing head, variable reversing speed, 3ph converter(runs 220), bed extension, etc. Weight with stand is at over 400lbs alone also.
Brian

turff49

That's corrct about the 1018 but you can find them occasionally for sale for 1000 or less used. I picked mine up used and had it shipped to me from MA. I'm not sure I'll ever get rid of it even when I upgrade to another Oneway.

dubdrvrkev

You are at a difficult price point. If you cn save a little longer you would be in the range of Jet 1642 or General ?? (16x42) both with electronic variable speed, not too mention a few other lathes. My recommendation would to be to hold out a little longer and buy something that will last and that you won't outgrow for quite some time. Keep an eye out for used lathes also. People are always upgrading, I see decent ones come up for sale on other boards from time to time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom