Lathe Problems

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rkimery

Passed Away May 3, 2022
In Memoriam
I have a personally refurbished JWL-1236 Variable Speed Wood Lathe. I've had it for about two years now.

Lately I have been having an issue or problem with the headstock NOT wanting to turn when I hit the switch. I have to turn it off and crank the head stock with my hand a little. Or while it is "humming" I have to crank it a bit to get it to start moving. For what ever reason it seems to hit a spot where it gets really tight and does not want to move or turn. I then back it up a little, hit the switch and it will turn as if no problem existed. Sometimes only for a while. Some days it doesn't happen, and like today...I turned 5 pens and had a problem when turning each pen, at least once.

I cannot figure out if it might be a switch or maybe I need a new belt?

Can anyone whom has or may have had one of these or similar lathes help me?

Much appreciated for your help

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

lorbay

Try blowing out the switch with compressed air. My buddy had this problem last year and that was all it took.

Lin.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
IF blowing out your switch doesnt work you may have to replace the Capacitors on your motor.

ctubbs

Randy, there are several possibilities. Does your VSC have reverse? If your motor is a DC motor, you can have a burned spot on the commutator or the brushes may be worn. If you have an AC motor, it may be single or three phase. There should be a plate on the motor telling which along with much other info. If your motor is single phase, there may be a capacitor on the motor or even possibly in the controller or you could even have what is known as a universal motor with brushes. In that case the brush and communicator problem with DC motors also apply. If you are lucky and have a three phase motor, then there may be a transistor in the VFD getting flaky or a loose wire from the transistor or going to the motor. Let us know what you have, maybe we can come up with a better idea. From what you gave, I am just shooting in the dark blindly. In other words a SWAG, a Sophisticated Wild Ass Guess.
Charels

ctubbs

I learned long ago that a bigger hammer is often the tool of last resort. If you can't fix it, just go ahead and break it beyond repair and replace it with new. That almost always works, unless someone forgot to plug the darn thing back in.:redface::wink: DAMHIKT
Charles

rkimery

Passed Away May 3, 2022
In Memoriam
I appreciate all the help. And yes I tried a hammer...many different sizes. But I think I'll check the motor Capacitors like Mike and Charles said. Right after I blow out the switch like Mike stated. I have been suspecting the switch as it's open on the back side and not sealed.

SWAG...(?) That's how I started out pen turning after never taking a lesson for turning anything on a lathe. Self taught.

Thanks for all help given!

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
I have that same lathe and it sounds like the start capacitor. PM me if you want more info on checking/changing it.

nativewooder

You be careful of that switch! I have a 1236 and the scars from a switch that filled up with wet shavings and the lathe started by itself at an inopportune moment. Much better to physically take it apart and clean it.:redface:

glycerine

You be careful of that switch! I have a 1236 and the scars from a switch that filled up with wet shavings and the lathe started by itself at an inopportune moment. Much better to physically take it apart and clean it.:redface:

Sounds like you need to work with the company that created the "saw stop" and get them to make a "lathe stop"!

randyrls

The capacitor is almost certainly the issue if the lathe is not a DC motor.

Start capacitor can be weak. Replace AFTER UNPLUGGING the lathe and making sure to wait until the capacitor discharges. Then lay a screwdriver across the capacitor terminals to make sure it is completely discharged. The capacitor looks like a metal can with 2 or 3 or 4 terminals and there may be two of them.

Start switch / start winding motors can have a start switch and winding to start the motor in a preferred direction. The switch is closed when the motor is stopped and opens with the motor starts turning. If the switch has gunk in it, it may not close when the motor stops. The switch is centrifugal.

rkimery

Passed Away May 3, 2022
In Memoriam

Barry, is this supposed to have a cover? Seems very odd if not, with all the wires exposed.
Thanks Barry! :)
Randy

randyrls

I had a table saw turn on by itself once and now all my tools have a "kill switch"! It has a lighted pilot light and when off, I know the tool is dead. If I have any doubts, I unplug as well.

rkimery

Passed Away May 3, 2022
In Memoriam
The capacitor is almost certainly the issue if the lathe is not a DC motor.

Start capacitor can be weak. Replace AFTER UNPLUGGING the lathe and making sure to wait until the capacitor discharges. Then lay a screwdriver across the capacitor terminals to make sure it is completely discharged. The capacitor looks like a metal can with 2 or 3 or 4 terminals and there may be two of them.

Start switch / start winding motors can have a start switch and winding to start the motor in a preferred direction. The switch is closed when the motor is stopped and opens with the motor starts turning. If the switch has gunk in it, it may not close when the motor stops. The switch is centrifugal.

Thanks a lot Randy!
Much appreciated!
Randy

rkimery

Passed Away May 3, 2022
In Memoriam

I had a table saw turn on by itself once and now all my tools have a "kill switch"! It has a lighted pilot light and when off, I know the tool is dead. If I have any doubts, I unplug as well.

Great ideas to do and to be safer!

renowb

You know, I have a turncrafter Pro VS a couple years old and is doing the same thing. I turn on the swith and it hesitates.

Top Bottom