Lathe Opinion

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mondo

Looking at a Delta LA200 that sounds like it has been well cared for and a Rikon 70-100. Any thoughts on either of these two lathes?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

butchf18a

either is good choice for first lathe. regardless of choice, I'd check it out in person. Check alignment of head/tail stocks, listen carefully for bearing noise. Turn something, test speeds...put it through it's paces so you know that you are getting what you are willing to put down money for.

Lots of opinions on lathes...I've used a Jet mini for 15 years and only had to replace power switch, which I broke.

Dick Mahany

While I have several Delta tools and like them very much, I am disturbed by all of the negative press they have received since selling the business to an Asian enterprise (please don't read this as Asian bashing.....not intended......the Delta business model has changed, hence the name means little now) Many people have found replacement parts have been made obsolescent and unavailable. This has been going on for over a year and seems to be getting worse.

I would not buy a new or used Delta tool any longer for that reason alone. I also have several Jet tools and parts are readily available, service has been infrequent, but excellent when needed. I have not heard anything negative about Rikon for that matter, just positive comments. Just my $0.02.

Last edited:

trooperjd

I have a rikon 70-100 and had alignment issues from the get go. After many off center pens and game calls, I realized it wasn't my inexperience, but rather alignments issues. Even when turning between centers still off center. I contacted rikon and they sent me a brand new lathe, and postage for return of old one. Customer service means a lot to me guys, so I'm very pleased with my purchase of the Rikon. The new one runs flawlessly. It's a tad bit louder than the delta or jet but not by much. Good luck.

dperk

I have the rikon 70-100 and I really like it! You can also add a variable motor to it later.

If I buy a larger lathe, I'm not sure what it will be. For a mini lathe, I'm satisfied with this Rikon.

Top Bottom