Lathe motors.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ligget

Hi

I am always trying to stop sawdust being sucked into the motor on my lathe when its running.

Surely the manufacturers wouldn`t position the motor right under the workpiece if sawdust clogs it up!

I am using the Jet mini (not V/S), my old lathe has the motor in the same position too.

Am I worrying for nothing, or is it worth trying to stop this sawdust being sucked into a running motor?[xx(];)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dario

The motors they use are totally enclosed (TEFC ?)...I think you shouldn't worry much. I tend to vacuum them every now and then too. [:)]

Fred in NC

One way to keep some of the sawdust from falling on the motor is to use pieces of flexible magnetic sheet on the open part of the bed. I get them free as advertising calendars, etc. that are supposed to stick to the refrigerator. Saves some of the vacuuming.

lkorn

TEFC = Totally Enclosed Fan Cooled. This means that the motor windings are commpletely protected from the sawdust, which is a serious fire hazzard around open electrical systems. The end of the motor that you can look into merely covers the cooling fan. Dependent upon the amount of use, periodic vacumming is essential, but also (less frequently) the fan cover should be removed so that the fan blades can be thoroughly cleaned. If the blades appear to be heavily encrusted, it time for maintenance.

Originally posted by Dario
<br />The motors they use are totally enclosed (TEFC ?)...I think you shouldn't worry much. I tend to vacuum them every now and then too. [:)]

btboone

&gt;Surely the manufacturers wouldn`t position the motor right under the workpiece if sawdust clogs it up!

They might. And don't call me Shirley.

clem

Mark i use a jet midi lathe to teach on at the end where you change the pully the little door leave it open it helps rid the dust you won't get rid of all the dust but about 85% of it clem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom