Lathe Motor Protection

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
K

kooseman

I have new Jet 1041I lathe that is fantastic. However, I notice the motor is located directly below where all the turning debris falls. I don't have access to an air hose as such to blow this out. Is there any way to protect the motor and avoid a future serious maintenance problem while still allowing adequate ventilation for the motor?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SDB777

Sawdust will go where sawdust can go....not much you can do about that, other then vaccuum it out. Before using CA or whatever, it might be a good idea to laying an extra papertowel on the bed to help 'catch' anything that drips.

Scott (mine is covered with 'stuff') B

randyrls

Sawdust will go where sawdust can go....not much you can do about that, other then vaccuum it out. Before using CA or whatever, it might be a good idea to laying an extra papertowel on the bed to help 'catch' anything that drips.

Scott (mine is covered with 'stuff') B

Scott; A good suggestion even if the motor isn't under there.

Put heavy toolbox drawer liner under the blank when doing anything that is likely to drip onto the ways.

scotirish

If you do not have access to a compressor at your lathe you can do what I do. I bought a pack of six "Dust Remover", compressed air in a can, used to remove dust from computer keyboards. I have one at each lathe, drill press & workbench. Cheaper and easier than installing piping to each place.
Ron

Forget about compressed air cans, which are environment unfriendly and very expensive in the long run. Get this air blower. Despite the word VACUUM in its name, it doesn't suck... just blows. (No pun intended!).
It blows air really really hard for its size.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001J4ZOAW

(No commercial attachment to this product whatsoever. Just a very satisfied user)

DurocShark

My rikon has a nifty tray between the bed and the motor... But I just lay a rag or something over the bed whenever finishing or wet sanding.

tim self

On another product note, you may consider a air mattress inflater. With the attachments it should work as well and a bit cheaper. Normally about $15 at WallyWorld.

K

kooseman

Thanks for all the advice. I actually did buy some blanks and that air blower is something I'm going to look into as I'm really low on space.

Top Bottom