Lathe lubrication

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BobRad

I can't find the manual for my lathe (I'm contacting a distributer to try and find one) and nothing online about it.

The headstock gets fairly warm and since I'm only doing pens there is no load and I'm not sure if its normal. There is a small nipple set into it so I assume I'm supposed to put something in there - oil or grease - but I don't know what, how much or how often.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BobRad

Wow, you do a better search than I did thanks - now I see there is a second lube point

I did however find a MiniMax group on Yahoo so I may get a response there and I have a request in to the distributer to try and get a manual - but thanks to you I have the pdf save

100 hours is not bad, considering how little I have use this lathe,my only concern is that the lube inside might have dried up or clumped if its grease

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Was it used when you bought it? It may have never been greased to start with. Even chasis lube would be better than nothing but several of the large equipment pieces I had used a different kind of grease. It was a nuetral color not white or black. I however dont remember the name or type of grease.

BobRad

Yes it was brand new and now you have me very worried

should I unscrew the zerk and take a look?

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
IF you unscrew the zerk and slide a thin wire in, it should have grease residue on it whe you pull it out if its ever been greased.

BobRad

I found the rear zerk (that I never knew was there) pointing downward behind the drive pulleys, it has a plastic cap, and there is some grease/oil inside that cap so that seems good. It will be very hard to remove it - with the pulley in the way - and any lube would possibly fall out and I have no pressure gun that fits.

The exposed zerk is on the top and I unscrewed it and there is no indication of lube, I put a clean drill bit inside and its dry. So does that mean it was never lubed and I've been wrecking the bearings?

snyiper

Well lubed from the factory one would hope I would get a light grease even chassis lube will work in a pinch but get something in there...Perhaps invest in a mini grease gun with a very light lube just for the lathe.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Factory bearings usually have a very light lube when assembled but not always. If there is no vibration you probably have caught it in time. Get a grease gun and get some grease in it. I googled lathe bearing grease, no definite answer on which grease to use other than a lithium or Teflon grease.

BobRad

I just walked down to my auto parts store and ended up getting someone who also owns a lathe and understood what I was talking about. I bought a grease gun and lube for use in car wheel roller bearings. He said lithium grease is too viscous and won't get deep into the bearings and this stuff is more like heavy oil.

He also said that from several years of non-use its not unexpected that the lube that was in there could have leached out and/or evaporated over time.

BobRad

..and since this is a fancy lathe (and its overheating a bit) - perhaps first pressing virgin cold pressed

randyrls

The headstock gets fairly warm and since I'm only doing pens there is no load and I'm not sure if its normal. There is a small nipple set into it so I assume I'm supposed to put something in there - oil or grease - but I don't know what, how much or how often.

Bob; It is normal for the headstock to get a little bit warm turning at high speed. You should be able to hold your hand on the headstock. If it is too hot to rest your hand on the headstock for at least 15 seconds, it is too hot.

Bearings may be greased with high temperature bearing grease. Obtain it at your local auto parts store.

Metal lathes with tapered bearings are sometimes lubed with Lucas "Red-n-Tack No 2".

Since you found a group for this series of lathes, you should check with them and take their advice.

bradh

The exposed zerk is on the top and I unscrewed it and there is no indication of lube, I put a clean drill bit inside and its dry. So does that mean it was never lubed and I've been wrecking the bearings?

If it had been greased, there would be some of the soap residue left. Grease is basically oil with a compound called soap, which is a thick substance to hold the oil in place.
If there is no indication of grease, it was either not lubed or it was lubed with just a heavy oil.
To choose a grease, a lathe is not a demanding application, no extreme temperatures or bearing loads. Even the speed range is not severe compared to other types of machines. Any good multi-purpose grease will work. Lithium based or Teflon additives are not really needed, but they will not hurt.
If they did sell you an oil to lube with, I would be sure to lubricate with this on a regular basis (ie maybe 3 times a year) because an oil will leak out.
You should notice the temperature drop after the lube. If it does not, that might indicate a damaged bearing or improper clearances.
Hope this helps.

rsulli16

lube a Jet?

i was curious about lubrication too.
I have a new Jet 1014 VSI and i have been cover to cover in the manual that came with it, not a word about lube or any other routine maintainence.

Seems to me there should be some kind of lube schedule, right? My headstock does get hot too.
Is there another manual I should be looking for?

Thanks
Sulli

BobRad

From my limited knowledge, most bearings today are sealed and will not require lube - metal working lathes might require lubrication as they may have gearboxes and other stuff

Top Bottom