Lathe issues (or, you get what you pay for)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fibonacci

I have an Excelsior (Rockler) 10x18 lathe looks almost exactly like the Turncrafter Commander or the mid-grade one from Harbor Freight. They run $250 on the showroom.

Either fortunately or unfortunately, I found the source of my eccentricity on the lathe today. I have been really working on my technique and got it down to just a bit by TBC, but I borrowed a dial indicator and discovered that the headstock on my lathe is about 30 thousands out. I get the same number with each of the three tapers that I have (measured at the exit from the headstock).

My previous measurements that made me rule out that source of error were taken on the outside of the shaft, which does turn true. Basically, the taper is not straight. I guess I will go back to Rockler and see if I can get a new drive shaft. I don't know what their warranty period is; I have had it for just over 3 months. My guess is 3 months, 6 months, or 12 months. Hopefully it is over 3. Unfortunately, the nearest store is almost 4 hours away.

I also identified about 5 thousands of wobble on the tailstock. I already got the tailstock replaced once. The first one was milled so it sat at an angle to the ways. This one allows the shaft to wobble. Maybe I can kludge the two together as I would be surprised if they would replace it again.

Does anyone know of an inexpensive lathe with decent QC? I am contemplating the notion of the 10x14 Jet, but that runs $500 and is smaller than what I have. The tolerances on this one are not terrible. If I wasn't making pens, I would likely never notice it. Unfortunately, pens are the greatest majority of what I make on it.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

el_d

I have the same Rockler special. I had a problem with the bearings after about a year :frown: and emailed them inquiring a cost for the bearings replacements.

Received an email from them stating that it was still under warranty and it should not be having bearing issues. So rather than sending me the bearings Rockler shipped me A NEW LATHE :eek:and told me to keep the problematic one for parts.

Needless to say I have much respect for that company......:wink:

gawdelpus

Passed Away May 11, 2015
In Memoriam
Having gone to that trouble to check it out it may be superfluous to ask if you checked the runout inside the taper of the headstock without using a sleeve ,if a bit of material is stuck inside the taper you could get that effect as it would push it to one side and not run concentrically .You might improve it somewhat by reaming gently with the apporpriate morse reamer . If you can't do that then a jobbing machine shop could remachine it for you, but a replacement would be nice :) .030" is a very large amount of runout ,even for a wood lathe ,if you try a dead centre and get the same result ,then you certainly have a problem ,and a right to be unhappy .Good luck with it :) cheers ~ John

Fibonacci

I have a call in to Rockler. The customer service person said she had to check, but she thought that was in spec for the lathe. She is supposed to call back on Monday with more information.

My dial indicator does not have a small enough probe to reach down into the taper, but I did clean and inspect it to make sure there was no foriegn debris.

We will see what they say on Monday.

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
I have a call in to Rockler. The customer service person said she had to check, but she thought that was in spec for the lathe. She is supposed to call back on Monday with more information.

My dial indicator does not have a small enough probe to reach down into the taper, but I did clean and inspect it to make sure there was no foriegn debris.

If that is with in specs for the lathe, they should get out of the lathe business all together. IMO

Fibonacci

If that is with in specs for the lathe, they should get out of the lathe business all together. IMO

I would agree, but in her defense, she is checking rather than rejecting me outright. If they do say that is within spec, I will haul the thing down to the physical store and make a fuss, but I have had good experiences with them in the past, so I would not expect it to be an issue.

Chthulhu

If the problem was with the bearings, the runout would also be on the outside of the spindle. I can't accept 30 thousandths runout being within spec on *any* machine tool; 3 maybe for a wood lathe, but not 30. You do need to check runout on the taper in the spindle directly, though. While you're at it, with the power off stick your pinky in there and feel for any gouges or debris; one little speck of a wood shaving could throw it off by 30 thousandths, and the edge of a gouge could as well.

Fibonacci

You do need to check runout on the taper in the spindle directly, though. While you're at it, with the power off stick your pinky in there and feel for any gouges or debris; one little speck of a wood shaving could throw it off by 30 thousandths, and the edge of a gouge could as well.

The inside is completely smooth to the touch and the sight. I need to get a longer probe for my dial indicator to verify it properly.

I just got a shipping notification from Rockler with the part being "hardware-special order", so it looks like they are sending me replacement parts of some kind.

studioso

I too have am excelsior lathe from rockler, and had several problems as well. In fact, at the time I purchased 2 of them, one for a friend, and his was even worst that mine.

I ended up bringing mine to a machine shop, were they "improved" it. The taper doesn't wobble no more, although my tail stock is still off.

Like you say: you get what you pay for. I don't expect a chinese mass produced 200$ lathe ( thats how much I paid with a free bed extension) to be of high quality.
As you say, if yu were turning spindles or bowls you would not even notice it: it's just that you are making fine pens that it matters.

Fibonacci

Well, I got a new headstock taper. I put it in and it made all the difference in the world.

I fiddled with the old one and it looks like the problem was the front bearing. The one I took out had a noticeable amount of wobble in it. The new one is also MUCH quieter than the old one was.

I might still be saving up for a better lathe, but this should help for a while.

Top Bottom