Lathe info

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mike5753

I am looking for a beginning lathe. A local guy has a Wilton VS Wood Mini Lathe for $110. I tried to check prices but it appears to be discontinued. Is this worth the $110 or should I pass and invest the money in something better. I am just starting to do some turning and this looked like a low cost way to give it a try. Any info on the machine appreciated.

Mike

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ldb2000

While it will turn pens and it does work ok , it is very limited in it's use . It is slightly underpowered , 3/4"X16 spindle and MT1 . There are very few quality accessories that can be used with it without some kind of adapters . The price is ok to a little high , you can get the exact same lathe from HF when it is on sale for $79.99 .
I have the exact same lathe (different brand but the same construction , they all come out of the same factory) and it served me well but it limited my growth and I replaced it with a Jet 1014vsi 6 months later and am soooo glad I did .

tim self

+1 on what Butch said. I've still got my Shop Fox (same lathe) and it did serve me well but...... If you can swing something a little larger, go for it. That lathe is light by comparison and does allow more vibration than a Jet or Rikon.

mrcook4570

I would recommend a lathe with MT2 headstock and tailstock, 1"x8tpi spindle threads, with a minimum of 10" swing and 1/2 hp. This type of lathe will allow you to turn a variety of forms and will be much easier to find accessories that fit it. If you decide that turning does not appeal to you, the resell value will be higher as well.

It is much less costly to invest in the biggest lathe you can afford instead of buying small and going through several upgrades.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Not Sure I agree

I would recommend a lathe with MT2 headstock and tailstock, 1"x8tpi spindle threads, with a minimum of 10" swing and 1/2 hp. This type of lathe will allow you to turn a variety of forms and will be much easier to find accessories that fit it. If you decide that turning does not appeal to you, the resell value will be higher as well.

It is much less costly to invest in the biggest lathe you can afford instead of buying small and going through several upgrades.
I'm not sure about that. I have a small vs that cost me $140 new and I am looking at buying a new one. I gotten 3 years of use out of the one I have and it is still serving me and will continue to do so until I decide on what new layte I'll get. Then I will give it to one of my sons-in-law and he and my grandson will be able to learn to turn pens on it...set for a lifetime hobby.

aggromere

ditto on the Jet1014vs. I have one, and other than having to replace the switch about 4 or 5 times it has worked perfectly for me. The switches are 1.00 or so at lowes and easy to replace. I keep a couple in my drawer. Also, unless you already have a drill press (and you only want to make pens) I would opt for the equipment to drill on the lathe.

but what ever you get I would get one with a MT2. A lot easier to find stuff for it.

steeler fan1

Now that you've decided to get something a little better look for one with variable speed control. You'll be glad you did.

Carl

austing458

i have the one from harbor freight and it it awesome for pens and it has a very nice electronic variable speed control. for $120 its great because you can get a 1 or 2 year warranty for very cheap and replace it for ANY reason even if you just want a new one.... it has served me well though you cant do large projects it is PERFECT for pens!!!!! if you want a cheap starter lathe go with that!!

good luck and have fun!

aggromere

I would ditto the variable speed control. Even with it you have to move the belt sometimes. I can't imagine not being able to vary my speed with the twist of a knob.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
VS

Yes, even though I don't think you need to go straight to the top on what lathe to get...VS is a feature you probably don't want to be without. Otherwise lathes seem to be something like cars...everybody has their favorite and it's the best there is. I did a little survey awhile back though and it seems the Jet1014 had the most fans.

Top Bottom