Lathe hand wheel issues

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gulfmedic1

Soo I have a lathe from Harbor Freight no real complaints its a good lathe for me since I am still new to the turning family. But, I noticed that I keep having an issue with the hand wheel. It used to be free moving now its extremely tight to turn. I have adjusted the side screws, not the problem, I have taken it apart cleaned it and greased it, still tight. Anyone have this lathe and can offer some help.
thanks

Attachments

• image_13471.jpg
    image_13471.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 180

monophoto

I believe that you are sspeaking about the knob on the tailstock ram. The term 'handwheel' normally refers to a wheel on the headstock spindle; this HG lathe does not have a conventional handwheel. (There are several articles on the internet about making a handwheel for lathes of this sort.)

I've had a similar experience with my lathe. In my lathe, the tailstock ram has a groove machined in the ram that guides the ram in and out as the outboard knob is turned. The grub screw that can be tightened to lock the ram into position rides in this groove. In the HF model, that grub screw is on top of the tailstock. I can't tell from the picture if there is a groove in the ram under the grub screw.

I found that the problem was that if the grub screw is backed out too far, the ram can rotate. Some dummy (that would be me) had tightened the grub screw onto the ram when it had rotated slightly such that the screw had come down on the edge of the groove rather than in the center of the groove. The misalignment caused the screw to distort the edges of the groove, making it difficult for the ram to slide on the screw.

After disassembling and cleaning the tailstuck, I carefully rand a file in the groove to eliminate the problematic dings. That fixed the problem.

To avoid recurrence, I've tried to make sure that the groove is always lined up on the grub screw before tightening in down.

gulfmedic1

Louie
thanks for the response, I the term hand wheel is what the owners manual calls it but you are right the term usually refers to the headstock. I made sure the spindle lock lever on top stays in the grove. I noticed that on the actual wheel when it was removed there was a slot cut out so the side screws can stop the actual handle from sliding out. I made sure they were not tight. I think my next move it to make my own wheel maybe get it larger and work better. I need to find those articles I would like to have a hand wheel at the head stock. again thanks for the input.

Top Bottom